Waiting

Rich Coyle

Bored. I'm sitting in the motel waiting till it's time to go to 4 Aces Ranch to hunt some pigs. It's a two day hunt to get four porkers.

I'm using my Weatherby Mark 5 six lug action, factory trigger set at twenty ounces, Oregon Gunsmithing stock, PacNor 24" #3 or #4 barrel, Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 in Talley light weight rings, tuned home made three port brake, 6.5 Coyle pushing Sledgehammer 130@3,160 fps w/ N [email protected] started by WLRM.

The powder is so old the price sticker shows it was purchased from Weatherby's store for, get this, $4.50!!

image.jpeg
Must have been behind you in line. Good luck on the porkers. Send pictures.

Tom's second pig didn't work out so he used my 6.5 with the 130 Sledgehammer at 59 yards. Shot it almost straight on with a slight angle. 30" of penetration exiting the other side. In fact even the petals exited. Tom was amazed a hollowpoint that large could penetrate like that. Of course it dropped at the shot.

I will try to post photos when I get back to town.

Below is the 290 pound pig shot above the shoulder facing the hunter.

entrance.jpg

One of the petals exited beside the bloody main exit wound. Maybe you can see two more. One near the top of the photo and the other left of the second nipple down. I guess the other stayed in the guts. This was 30" of penetration with the 6.5 Sledgehammer. Velocity was approximately 3,165 feet per second. They have a 2mm hollowpoint.
exit #1.jpg

Several ribs were broken on the way in.
entrance #2.jpg

This photo shows the front feet of the pig I shot at about 525 yards. Tom forgot to adjust the scope from his 558 yard shot so my first shot went high. I never held his rifle before, much less fired it. We all saw the miss. Tom adjusted the Nightforce and the poor piggy was mine.

mule feet.jpg

That macho man in the back ground is ex-PBR rider Caleb Johnson. He owns 4 Aces Ranch and Outfitters.

It sure looks like in the excitement I didn't take anymore photos. I will have to do this next year. Two pigs last about one year.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.