W/T deer shot placement

In my opinion when teaching youngsters it's best to teach them "center mass" of the chest cavity. They usually get a ton of lung and maybe the heart. Light fast bullets. If they run it won't be very far. Then even if we see it go down I make them wait 20 minutes or so. Unless were actually looking at it plain as day DRT. Thats part of the training them too...never chase a bleeding deer they'll run till they die which can be a long way!

Aim small, miss small, but it really depends on how the game is presenting itself. Rule of thumb, I always aim for the heart. Visualize the heart, take it out and the game is dead. This can happen from any angle of the shot. Quartering away, through the heart into the off shoulder. Quartering toward, through the fore shoulder and then the heart. Facing you, through the breast plate and into the heart. Broadside, heart shot, directly into the upper most crease of the armpit (that's how I can best explain it to younger, or new hunters). I never shoot for the neck, unless it's to finish a kill. And always pass on the Texas heart shot, no offense meant to my Southern brethren.

I've mentioned it before, but "The Perfect Shot; Shot Placement for African Big Game" -Kevin Robertson, is a must have for any hunter going to the Dark Continent for a Safari. Or, anyone interested in hunting and anatomy of animals. Also, for North America, Craig Boddington has filled the void here, by creating his own version for our fauna, "The Perfect Shot, North America; Shot Placement for North American Big Game."

Both great books and even better gifts for young and new hunters, or even experienced hunters that just want more knowledge!!!

.....but it really depends on how the game is presenting itself.....And always pass on the Texas heart shot.....

........I try to be prepared for all the shots that may present themselves. No argument about dead being a good thing, but I emphasize recovery. Failure to recover an animal is where meat loss really adds up.

He doesn't want to track them so unless he takes out the shoulders or the spine or neck then he is still going to have to track them. A heart shot deer can still run a hundred yards before it runs out of steam. I know because I've seen it personally. The heart was in shreds and it still ran a hundred yards. Another one I shot dead center through the heart still went fifty yards. The heart had a tennis ball size hole right through the heart. I know you might say that isn't always the case because sometimes they are drt with a heart shot.

I don't disagree with anything you guys are saying as far as shot placement and deer running with blown out pump stations. But kids are different. Rifle is sighted dead on at 100 yards and the kids a crack shot. Then a little 6 point sneaks right in front of the tree stand 20 yards away. "Perfect heart shot" just put a big gaping hole low thru the brisket with zero damage to vitals. I learned from that mistake.

The point is to deliver the best shot, the first time. If you're too lazy to track an animal 100 yds., you shouldn't be hunting wild game. You should just go to the sale barn and drive your chosen quarry to the locker. Problem solved, no tracking. If you're not able to track wild game, then get help. Just my side of ethics in hunting. Always shoot for the highest percentage shot of a lethal impact. That way when you don't deliver your best, the end result is the same, because although not ideal placement off the "miss", it's still a fatal shot.

I take all opinions with an open mind and feel there's a need to respond to yours. First view (on target 404 Shot Placement Whitetails-YouTube) by Tim McWhorter and Allan Rovig. Allan has probably killed more whitetail in the last 35 years then you have seen alive! Assuming I'm lazy I'm a self employed cattle rancher of 44 years and probably done more hard manual labor in those 44 years then you will in your lifetime. Enjoy your next beef ribeye I'm the guy who produces them!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.