VX6HD 4-24x52 Reticles - Which would you choose?

Full Curl

3 options to choose from for an all around 300rum hunting rifle. I like the idea of quick holdover options out to maybe +/- 600yds with the Varmint Hunter and then dialing beyond that if needed. Or does that just complicate things and I should just go with the TMOA and dial from the start? Thanks.

Attachments

• leu.jpg
    leu.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 270
Look at the spacing of the Varmint Hunter reticle (moa drop) and see if it's close to the drops that you anticipate. Because it is a varmint reticle it assumes a rather flat trajectory.
You could always just use the 400yd line and sight it in at that range to be dead on at 400yds. Shorter distances will see some error but probably not enough to make any difference on a big game animal.

I will always choose a known measurement such as MOA or MIL over "do all" type BDC reticle. They will get you close but can't match the precision of something that's a unit of measure such as MOA.

Additionally, which ever you choose, get the reticle and turrets in the same measurement...exp. MOA / MOA for reticle and turret.

I have two wind-plex MOA reticles and the Impact 23 on my 4-24HD. It's a little more than i need but the price was right. I also like the TMOA but not sure if that's still offered in the 4-24.

All of these are fire dot as well.

Of your choices tmoa. Sorry but bdc ret are non standard SWAGs that will almost never be dead on. Dial elevation and hold for wind. Where xtrees come in handy is if you can spot your miss or you have a spotter. I do like some of them and they can add benfits especially in certain terrain and situations but a well contructes mil hash or moa hash with good rsolution are do all scope rets.

Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky, but I have the VX6 with Varmint reticle.

Rifle A was a 300 WM shooting Berger 185 VLD at 2985 FPS. With my main reticle zero'd at 200, each of my stadia lined up perfectly until the bottom at 700, trajectory about 3" lower than that stadia.

Rifle B is a 7RM shooting 3050 with Barnes TTSX 150. This produces nearly identical trajectory results.

I live at just under 4,000' elevation, I hunt up to 8,000 locally. I don't shoot beyond 600 yds at live animals, so I don't dial.

Maybe I'm just the lucky anomaly.

Thanks for the responses. In my past experiences with holdover reticles they were never spot on but close. I would determine their actual POI's and then add a little cheat sheet to my stock showing those and they were usually close enough to the rounded yardages 500 and under where it didn't matter much for hunting. But I agree, they were never spot on like the manufactures advertise. If I have a spotter or somebody calling yardages out to me, I'm much faster with a holdover type because I can stay in the scope and just raise or lower accordingly. If I'm dialing, I have to come out of the scope. Now if I'm ranging it's a horse a piece because I have to come up to zap a range.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.