VX5HD Reticles

KU_Geo

Looking at a 3-15 leupold vx5HD, but trying to decide on reticle. Either wind plex or HTMR. Seems like the wind plex may be a touch thick for long range work. Leaning toward HTMR but want to make sure it's useable in low light and thick cover. Any real world experience with either of these reticles?

Last edited:
I assume you meant to refer to the 3-15 VX5HD. Reticles are a personal decision. I am a fire dot duplex fan. I really don't like a cluttered reticle. The illumination is great when needing to quickly aim at critters in near dark situations. HTMR looks like a good choice for mil fans.

Have the htmr and it's not too thick at all. I had the same concerns as you when I first was looking into it. All my other scopes are ffp. I actually like it being sfp. It's a good reticle for what it is.

The CDS is handy after you have fully determined your preferred load. Once again, I am a hunter/recreational shooter and like to keep things simple. If you generally hunt and shoot in similar areas (altitude, temperatures, etc.), it is a simple dial to the distance and hold or dial for wind. It is really not for precision extreme long range shooters IMHO. If I was serious and wanting to compete, I would probably be looking at a different scope.

I've had the VX5HD 3-15X44 HTMR for about 8 months. I've hunted a handful of times in all lighting conditions. The reticle is not cluttered and not thick. I bought the HTMR with the thinking "it's there if I need it". You can only use the mil reticle at 15X, but 15X on this scope doesn't get a tight eye box. When the CDS is used, you still get the benefit of the mils for windage.

I know you can calibrate the reticle at lower magnifications. That flies out the window of my brain pretty quick though in the heat of the moment. LOL

I just got a firedot duplex on a 2-10. I really like it. If Leupold would add the firedot to the HTMR that would be perfect.