vx5hd impact 29

Send it 284

I'm looking into a vx5 3-15 with the impact 29 reticle.
I don't trust leupolds for dialing so I'm thinking getting one with the impact 29 would a good solution.
Its going on a dual use timber to 500 yard shorty hunting rifle.
Id like to hear what people think about their vx5's

I don't trust leupolds for dialing so I'm thinking getting one with the impact 29 would a good solution.
My cousin ran one, the 3-15, on a .270 Sherman for a while, just the firedot reticle however, and dialed. I did load development on the rifle, as well as some trajectory validation. Glass seemed great, (My range of comparison includes Vortex Viper PA, HST, PST, Razor spotting scope, Burris Veracity, Arken EP-4, Sightron STAC and SIII, Leupold VX-6HD, Nightforce SHV, NXS, Maven RS.4, and March 2.5-25, probably several others) he took a couple animals in low light and no issues, including a Mule deer at 630 and a cow elk at 910 yards, both within about 10 minutes of end of shoot light. However he did trade it out for an optic with more magnification after taking the cow at 910, it wasn't the clarity he said, it was partially the reticle thickness at that range on 15x, and he wanted to be able to just see more detail at the extended ranges we often take animals at. However, for 500 with a holdover reticle, it would be a fantastic light weight option IMO. Never had any issues with the optic loosing zero after being bumped around in a pack going several miles into the back country, or bouncing around in his truck. He isn't exactly easy on equipment ha ha, but it didn't have any issues. He did only have it for a little over a year, so I can't speak for long term ruggedness.

I have 3 VX5HDs and have had no issues dialing with them either. Huge forgiving eye box and bright glass that allows shot opportunities right up until legal ends.

I own the same optic, 2 of them, and they are spectacular. My only complaint is that they are sfp, but I'm more interested in your lack of faith in their turret accuracy. I've owned and or currently own basically every quality manufacturer's scopes made in the last 30 years, including running them as a sniper in the Army, and I've never seen one that didn't track. Now, I have no experience with anything below the VX3 series, but if I had to wager on accurate tracking between manufacturer's, I'd quickly place my bet on leupold. Vortex below the razor level are a dice throw, and with most optics under $1,000 msrp, you'd probably reasonably expect a varying percentage of them to fail tracking tests, but I'm shocked by your assessment of Leupold. Would you mind explaining why you feel that way? Thank you.

I own the same optic, 2 of them, and they are spectacular. My only complaint is that they are sfp, but I'm more interested in your lack of faith in their turret accuracy. I've owned and or currently own basically every quality manufacturer's scopes made in the last 30 years, including running them as a sniper in the Army, and I've never seen one that didn't track. Now, I have no experience with anything below the VX3 series, but if I had to wager on accurate tracking between manufacturer's, I'd quickly place my bet on leupold. Vortex below the razor level are a dice throw, and with most optics under $1,000 msrp, you'd probably reasonably expect a varying percentage of them to fail tracking tests, but I'm shocked by your assessment of Leupold. Would you mind explaining why you feel that way? Thank you.
I've personally seen a vx6 and a vx5hd fail tracking tests.
May have been a couple of duds but it made me leary for sure .
Its good to hear that guys are having good luck with the vx5hd, I'll get my order in and put it through the paces

I was skeptical at first but after running box tests on them they have performed great - I was surprised at only $700ish they blow the vortex I've had out of the water!

They most definitely aren't as robust as my NF, but they work excellent for their intended purpose.

I really like the Leupold Vx3i vx5 and vx6 Scopes for light weight and value. The older Mark 4 scopes are the Leupolds that were prone to tracking issues. I owned Mk4 a 4.5-14x50 That was off by about 25%. I got rid of that one but I still own mostly Leupold scopes and have had no problems with any others. I have one impact 29 i was really excited about it at first but i don't like how it fills so much of the view. It actually makes the image seem darker that the same scope with a windplex. I prefer the windplex or TMOA reticles because I dial elevation but don't dial wind.

Have several on various rifles all with CDS. Every one has tracked fine out to 900yd and back to my 300yd zero. No complaints whatsoever!

I had a VX5 3-15x50 that didnt track well. After dialing up 20-30 minutes, it would fail on the return to zero. I've seen others that fail tracking tests as well. Luckily for me, I just sent mine in with a description of my complaint and they shipped it back and it tracked fine after that.

Although, I still trust any nightforce (other than SHV) to track a lot more than I trust any other brand I've ever used.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.