VX5HD 4-20x52 - Anybody have any experience with this scope?

Just spoke with tech at Leupold: glass for VX6 and Mark 5 is not the same. Different formulas and different coatings. His words.
l also talked with Leupold about a VX-5 vs a VX-3, and VX-6... Talked with Tommy in tech support. He said the quality of glass and coatings ARE DIFFERENT. Until l SEE different that's good enough for me... He suggested l go with a VX-5HD for prairie dogs since l don't shoot them too much in the dark.. He said that's where you'll see the difference with the VX-6HD, in low light

Is the TMOA too fine to be able to hunt with? I have never looked through a scope with the TMOA reticle.
Mark 5 TMOA reticle very fine at 5 power, however, 8 to 10 power very adequate. For me, leaving it at 9 in the field works quite well: field size does not bother me that much, but was definitely noticeable. Still like it better than my 4 VX6's. Hope that helps.
;

I really like my mark 5. I keep playing with it on 5x in different lighting to see if I can live with the non illuminated 3.6-18. I wish they would have done a bigger objective on this model but I understand why they didnt. Probably saving weight and appealing to the black rifle crowd that want an optic. What kills me is i'll be mounting it on a sako 85 and the mounting options are almost nil. I've found 1 pic base but I'm afraid with the small objective and lack of really low 35mm rings it will be very high above the barrel and lose cheek weld.
I have the Mark 5 3.6-18x44 non illuminated. Absolutely love it, in dark timber I leave it on 5x the reticle seems to nearly double in thickness between 3.6 and 5. Though my eyes are good and I wouldn't think twice about running it on 3.6, for me anyways when I shoulder the gun my eyes go to the center and I've never not seen the reticle. Even in low light no issue seeing the reticle. As for rings TPS makes 35mm super lows that should get you the cheek weld you're after.

That looks really awesome. Anxious to hear how you like after time at the range.

Sent you pm also. Thanks.
I have had this out to the range a few times and have fallen in love with the scope. Its awesome - I love the TMOA reticle. I have run it out to 1250 and back several times and its tracks flawlessly.

Thanks for all your input guys - scope arrived this week and I got it mounted. Looks sweet - I am super happy with it so far...can't wait to put it through the ringer.

View attachment 166366
Predator Slayer ,

What brand of scope rings , and what height rings did you use to mount your scope ?
Really nice looking rifle/scope combo that you have .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

Predator Slayer ,

What brand of scope rings , and what height rings did you use to mount your scope ?
Really nice looking rifle/scope combo that you have .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06
Thanks :). I ended up going with Medium (1.25") nightforce ultra lite rings.

Yeah, but the weight...I haven't heard of many problems with Leupolds VX6HD and VX5HD lines. In fact I have heard of several people switching from Nightforce to Leupold lately, which blows my mind...
I switched from nightforce to leupold vx5 because of the fire dot reticle and weight .no question the 3x15x56 vx5 is the best low light hunting scope I have owned

No , not versatile enough for most people,maybe if you sit in a box stand over a food plot it would be just ok
I agree, I have a 3-12x50 schmidt bender Zenith and it's spectacular within 200 yards but the fixed parallax and lack of a graduated reticle limit its usefulness

l also talked with Leupold about a VX-5 vs a VX-3, and VX-6... Talked with Tommy in tech support. He said the quality of glass and coatings ARE DIFFERENT. Until l SEE different that's good enough for me... He suggested l go with a VX-5HD for prairie dogs since l don't shoot them too much in the dark.. He said that's where you'll see the difference with the VX-6HD, in low light
I conccur on the vx6 brightness

I have also been looking at the Mark 5 - I keep trying to love FFP scopes for hunting, just had my third failed attempt:). I buy them, mount them, hunt with them, curse them, sell them - then repeat. Its a vicious cycle for me! Lol
Go with the second focal for hunting

As a hunter I absolutely hate first focal plane scopes.I have wanted to like them and have spent lots $$$ on them just to hate them .