VX5HD 4-20x52 - Anybody have any experience with this scope?

Did you actually read the thread? 2 different people stated that Leupold told them that the glass is the same on the mark5 vx5hd and vx6hd.
So you are wrong when you stated.
"the glass isn't even close to the same. The VX5 seems to just be a feature-rich VX3."

The Mark 5 and VX5 are not even similar in glass. Period. Whomever told you they were the same was misinformed. The VX5 and VX6 may very well be the same. I have all these scopes and have talked to Leupold at length. They are NOT the same. The Mark 5 is actually a very good scope, both glass and dialing. It is not as good as the very best glass (ZCO, TT or even the ATACR) but it is right up there.

The Mark 5 and VX5 are not even similar in glass. Period. Whomever told you they were the same was misinformed. The VX5 and VX6 may very well be the same. I have all these scopes and have talked to Leupold at length. They are NOT the same. The Mark 5 is actually a very good scope, both glass and dialing. It is not as good as the very best glass (ZCO, TT or even the ATACR) but it is right up there.
Pretty funny - they could be different, but you act like even the mention of them being the same is offensive. The price difference between the Mark 5HD and the VX6HD are pretty close. 34mm vs 35mm tube. SFP vs FFP. Turretts are different. Weight isnt that far off etc. I think thats why I wasn't surprised they had the same glass. The difference in price between the VX6HD 4-24x52 and the Mark 5HD 5-25 is about what you see between the FFP and SFP scopes from nightforce in the ATACR and other similar scopes.

Also - TT and ATACR arent even in the same class...TT is a step above.

If they made the Mark 5 in a SFP, I would probably lean that direction.
I remember having exactly the same opinion for years until this year's P-dog hunt with FFP when midday mirage became so great that four different quality range finders basically failed to function beyond 400 yds: I was able to reduce magnification and totally use reticle to manage wind and a few elevations. Kind of quick and fun, actually.

Pretty funny - they could be different, but you act like even the mention of them being the same is offensive. The price difference between the Mark 5HD and the VX6HD are pretty close. 34mm vs 35mm tube. SFP vs FFP. Turretts are different. Weight isnt that far off etc. I think thats why I wasn't surprised they had the same glass. The difference in price between the VX6HD 4-24x52 and the Mark 5HD 5-25 is about what you see between the FFP and SFP scopes from nightforce in the ATACR and other similar scopes.

Dude- the VX6 is a 30mm tube! They aren't "pretty close".

I agree the TT glass is better than the ATACR but it is better than anything Leuplod makes and the Mark V is about as good as it gets with them.

Dude- the VX6 is a 30mm tube! They aren't "pretty close".

I agree the TT glass is better than the ATACR but it is better than anything Leuplod makes and the Mark V is about as good as it gets with them.

Dude!!! Look it up! The 4-24x52 is a 34mm tube!! As is the VX5 4-20x52!

They are a lot closer than than you think. Geez, with google at everybody's fingertips you would think people would fact check themselves before they go hard on here. Gots to love the know it alls on the internet:)

I remember having exactly the same opinion for years until this year's P-dog hunt with FFP when midday mirage became so great that four different quality range finders basically failed to function beyond 400 yds: I was able to reduce magnification and totally use reticle to manage wind and a few elevations. Kind of quick and fun, actually.
The only FFP scope I own right now is a PST Gen 2 5-25 that is on my 223 varmint gun. I like it on there, I can spot my shots and make quick adjustments. It is hardly ever on low power, so for rock chucks and prairie dogs its a sweet set up. It started out on one of the rifles I use for big game, and that is where I hate them. I think they suck for coyotes too. Just my opinion tho:)

Messed with ordering the cds, too many variables in temp, altitude and pressure when you can rifle hunt from August to December. I've found the moa cds dial to be very accurate, also the bc on most bullets has changed from lot to lot making the dial inefficient but easily adjusted if you stay moa. $.03
I guess it depends on what your trying to do. Mine is a hunting rifle not a paper puncher. Temp wise your talking under a 1/4" MOA with a 50 to 60 degree temp difference. Altitude for me usually stays close enough I wont tell a difference.

I guess it depends on what your trying to do. Mine is a hunting rifle not a paper puncher. Temp wise your talking under a 1/4" MOA with a 50 to 60 degree temp difference. Altitude for me usually stays close enough I wont tell a difference.
Temp . Altitude and pressure.
I'm dealing with possible 80-100* temp swings and 10,000' elevation changes. Far outside the cds capabilities and quite a bit more than 1/4 moa.
40* and 8500' is 2.5 moa at 1k or 26"
Not an insignificant difference Screenshot_20191223-190311_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191223-190237_Chrome.jpg