VX3HD vs VX5HD

Which ever you do buy do yourself a favor and save ammo do a box test or ladder test to check tracking and return to zero. Especially if you put the scope on a heavily recoiling rifle and you plan on dialing for different ranges. They are noted for not tracking , don't ask how I know.
How do you know?
1660340492194.png

I'm currently considering Leupold amongst others to replace a simple duplex 3-9x scope.

My question is, has this been experienced by other forum members? Hard to imagine that not tracking correctly is a standard behavior, considering that it is an important core function.

I will say in my experience Leupold has an outstanding warranty policy and excellent customer service.

I have 2 vx 5s on 300 win mags and neither is returning to zero after dialing. Called Leupold told them about issue and what we did to recognize the problem and they even said that it sounded like a return to zero issue. I have another one with 29 impact reticle on a 6.5 284 that I am setting up to see if the issue shows its head. If you don't dial a lot you might not notice it. the way I found the problem is I went looking after the shoots wouldn't impact in same location after multiple checks for distance. Thats why I say do a box test or tall target test if you are concerned or for your own piece of mind to know that it works as needed. One rifle I set 3" high at hundred pretty much dead on at 300yds. shot consistent for a while then went longer then returned my zero at 100yds a was on a 1inch at 100 yds not 3 inch. so my 2 cents is check it. I'm not saying Leupold is a bad scope hell I own 7 of them but this is a issue I have with mine. they sell more scopes then anybody so they will have complaints from more people it doesn't mean its a bad scope by any means. But if you don't check it????

Last edited:
Box test is a good idea with any scope you are going to be dialing with. Most scopes aren't perfect over their full range of dialing. Knowing if your scope is dialing 98% or 102% of distance is helpful when dialing longer ranges.

No return to zero issues with my VX5, but I did have to send it back for debris in the scope after a few years (looked like a drop of oil on one of the internal lenses). Paying shipping there sucked, but turnaround was fast and issue was fixed. Need to do a new box test now that I have it back. It did very well last time.

Box test is a good idea with any scope you are going to be dialing with. Most scopes aren't perfect over their full range of dialing. Knowing if your scope is dialing 98% or 102% of distance is helpful when dialing longer ranges.

No return to zero issues with my VX5, but I did have to send it back for debris in the scope after a few years (looked like a drop of oil on one of the internal lenses). Paying shipping there sucked, but turnaround was fast and issue was fixed. Need to do a new box test now that I have it back. It did very well last time.
I guess I shouldn't have stated that all vx5s are that way just my experience. Go to Long Range Only and do a search for leupold scope tracking. Worth reading.

I have 2 vx 5s on 300 win mags and neither is returning to zero after dialing. Called Leupold told them about issue and what we did to recognize the problem and they even said that it sounded like a return to zero issue. I have another one with 29 impact reticle on a 6.5 284 that I am setting up to see if the issue shows its head. If you don't dial a lot you might not notice it. the way I found the problem is I went looking after the shoots wouldn't impact in same location after multiple checks for distance. Thats why I say do a box test or tall target test if you are concerned or for your own piece of mind to know that it works as needed. One rifle I set 3" high at hundred pretty much dead on at 300yds. shot consistent for a while then went longer then returned my zero at 100yds a was on a 1inch at 100 yds not 3 inch. so my 2 cents is check it. I'm not saying Leupold is a bad scope hell I own 7 of them but this is a issue I have with mine. they sell more scopes then anybody so they will have complaints from more people it doesn't mean its a bad scope by any means. But if you don't check it????
Thanks for the information. I am new to the group so I appreciate the knowledge. And I just had to poke you a little in good fun. No disrespect intended.

Just because they track when they're new, doesn't mean they'll continue tracking correctly after several hundred rounds fired.
Which is to say, more than 1 tracking test may be necessary over time.

Depends on the recoil of the rifle they're mounted on too, is my understanding and expectation. May track well on a 22LR. May not last on a 338 Lapua with a muzzle brake.

I have not had the best dialling experience with any leupy v series scope, and I have had at least a dozen. Now I only run them on guns I have no intention of dialing.
I have a 6hd that holds zero very well, but dial it up 1 moa and you get 1 moa up and 1/2"-3/4" right, dial it 1/2 moa left and it goes up another 1/2moa. But if you get it perfectly zero'd it will hold and shoots tiny groups.
Had a 5hd that 7 moa was 8 1/2" at 100y, and maybe 1 out of 5 times would come back within one click of zero. Vx3 that was a crap shoot what each click was. All have been sent in and fixed repeatedly.