VX3HD vs VX5HD

Just a hunter

I am not fortunate enough to have a dealer nearby to be able to run out and look through both so I am looking for input from people who have both. How much difference is there in image clarity, light transmission, eyebox, etc. between the two? I'm thinking between the 4.5-14 VX3 and the 3-15 VX5. I have the 3-15 so I know what it is and I have an old Vari-X 3 in 4.5-14 but I assume they have changed since I bought it 20 years ago or so.

I have both. The VX 5HD has a much larger field of view, top end glass, and my go-to hunting scope for most situations, especially on rifles that I use regularly. I've had ones with a very stiff power ring, which cost me extra to add a power ring lever, but worth the expense for such top quality glass. The VX3 HD is a good scope and I've put them on two lightweight mountain rifles to save 4-5 ounces and a few dollars. They also come with a power ring stud which is a nice feature, but to me they are definitely a step down from the 5HD. In both cases, I use the 30mm tube models with side parallax adjustment, so I'm doing an apples to apples comparison. I also prefer the Windplex model, though I do have a couple with the standard Duplex; all with CDS. My vote is; Go 5!

I recently purchased a VX6HD in 4-24x52 with the firedot and I can't really see any improvement in it over my VX5'S other than the higher magnification range, scope covers and throw lever. I don't know if it was worth the considerable difference in price between the two. I'm considering selling it. It's never been mounted on a rifle, I took it out of the box and put the battery in it to confirm it worked and put it back in the box. It's more scope than I need. However, like I said, I don't have a dealer nearby to go look through all of the different models so I took a chance on it. Gonna put a scope on a Christensen Ridgeline in 300 WSM for the wife to hunt with and I think the VX5 will more than suffice and save a little weight.

Which ever you do buy do yourself a favor and save ammo do a box test or ladder test to check tracking and return to zero. Especially if you put the scope on a heavily recoiling rifle and you plan on dialing for different ranges. They are noted for not tracking , don't ask how I know.

I just got a VX5HD windplex for a .257 STW and it is great; glass is better than VX3, as it should be for the price. As noted, VX5 and VX6 have the same glass.