Vx2 good for long range??

Ok. Well think I made my scope choice. Next thing is for shooting long range would you be better with mils or Moa? 1/4 Moa is a smaller click than 1/10 mil, right? Wouldn't that be more accurate? Just a hair slower maybe. Or am I wrong? I think on my other gun when I switched scopes my 13.5 Moa was 5.6 mil for the same yardage. I think. So that would be 54 clicks vrs 56. If I'm right so nearly the same. Help here would be nice.

Yes, the .25 moa is a finer increment. But I doubt you will notice the difference. I am a MOA shooter. It is just easier for me as I grew up thinking inches and I learned early that 4 quarters make a dollar. So go with what ever you feel you know better and make sure you match the reticle to the turret calibration. Either a mil/mil or a MOA/MOA. your next question will be first or second focal plane. For that I will always go second focal plane for long range work. But that is a whole other topic and I suggest you use the search box at the upper right. There are some very good discussions on both mil/moa and ffp/sfp on this site.

Jeff

1/4 Moa 1 click equals 2-1/2" at 1000 yards. Anyone know how much 1/10 MIL 1 click equals at 1000 yards?? Did some looking and number punching. If I'm right 1 click of 1/10 mil is 3.6" at 1000 yards. Right?

1/4 Moa 1 click equals 2-1/2" at 1000 yards. Anyone know how much 1/10 MIL 1 click equals at 1000 yards?? Did some looking and number punching. If I'm right 1 click of 1/10 mil is 3.6" at 1000 yards. Right?
I think youre right on the mills even though Im not a mil kinda guy. The MOA your close BUT not quite. 1 moa at 1k is actually 2.6175 more or less. No big deal right? It is at 1k. A correction of 17.77MOA at 1k will move the bullet 186.1 inches. Definitely not .25 @ 100.

I know 1/4 Moa is slightly more than 2-1/2" but that's what I use for practical figuring. For instance if I dial my scope 23 moa, shoot at 1 K and hit 20" low I divide that by 2.5, which is 8 (clicks), dial 8 clicks or 2 Moa up, shoot again, dial one more to +9 total, shoot again and see which is closer to bullseye and that # (8 or 9) added to my initial dial # will be my new Moa # to dial for 1 K. ( if 8 clicks was closest I would record 25 Moa as my new adjustment for those conditions. Altitude, pressure, temp) If that makes any sense.

I have the new VX-2 in 6-18x and it smokes the semi-*** 5-20 Monarch it replaced. You can get target turrets and CDS for one. And only $500; best Leupold deal by far.

Well, I am hoping that the VxII works well. I picked up a 6-18 for 100$ from a guy that couldn't make out the tiny target dot anymore.

It is currently at the Leupold Custom shop getting turrets(tactical 129$) and a LRV reticle(69$).

I think at the price point the VXII is I would probably be tempted to get a Weaver Super Slam or a Vortex.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.