VX II 6-18X40 or Monarch 5-20X44

herr1911

Finally gathered up some cash to put a scope on my heavy barrel AR prarie dog rig. Looking to stay around $500, which brings me to the VX II 6-18X40 with the target knobs, or the Nikon Monarch 5-20X44. I plan to dial targets in, and the 1/4 clicks on the Leupold sound better to me than the 1/8 on the Nikon. Both are limited in standard reticle selection, but I know I can send the Leupold in to be changed. Any thoughts on the better choice? Any others that I ought to look at?

What reticle would you all suggest for varmint hunting?

I've been looking for the same thing. I'm leaning toward a used VX3 in 4.5X14. For just a bit more you can get a used one and it's lifetime warranty. I think much better glass than the vx2. Don't know about the Nikon.

I have both nikon and leupold. The Nikon monarch has better glass than the leupy in my opinion especially in low light. The monarchs i have had track well. I just bought a vx3 4.5-14 cds but havnt gotten the turrets for it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.