VX 7 big game retical

4xforfun

I just finished breaking in and working up a load for a friends gun. He had a new Leupold VX 7 with the big game retical. I tried looking up the specifics on this retical on Leupold's website, and it said to refer to the owners manual. What I need to know is how many MOA is each hash mark and at what power? I think the scope topped out at 14x. The owner can't find the manual, and a quick internet search got me no place. Leupold says to zero at 200 yds, but 200 is a major waist of my time. I have several differant balistics programs to work out the impact points with this bullet/speed combo....I just need to know how many moa the hash marks are.

My NSX retical is 2 moa at 22X (4 moa at 11x).

Thanks for the help.

Boone_Crockett_detail.jpg

Last edited:
The arrows on the power selector are guidelines leupold gives you that should make the reticle close to the actual path of your bullet. The higher power or larger one is for your flat shooting magnums, 300rum, 300 weatherby, 270 wsm, etc... and the small one is for not so flat ones. The large arrow is usually for a 300 yard zero and then 400, 500 etc... If you go to leupold's website and go to the tab resources and downloads you can download the manual on it. As far as how far they are apart beats me. Id like to know too. I have the same reticle in a vx3 and I went by the manual and zeroed my 7mm at 300 and all the holdover points are dead on. I was pretty amazed. Im sure you could call leupold's tech support and find out how far they are. They are usually really helpful. Hope this helps.... Good luck

Big bullet....small bullet????? It's all krap. I know leupold means well, but these terms are meaningless. Why can't they just give us a true MOA figure (like Nightforce) along with thier mombo jumbo big bullet- small bullet krap. That gives the true shooter with a chronograph and a balistics program something solid to work off of.

Just my .02 rant......sorry about that.:)

Is there anyone out there who has figured it out. I don't have the gun anymore. I could probably figure it out on my own if I needed to.

Thanks again.

Is there anyone out there who has figured it out. I don't have the gun anymore. I could probably figure it out on my own if I needed to.
The answer's in that first picture. I was questioning it at first, but the reticle should be the same MOA for the whole scope line, regardless of the magnification range.

With the large triangle chosen on your power selector, the first hash is 2.19 MOA, the second hash is 4.80 MOA, the small bottom hash is 6.26 MOA, and the tip of the lower line is 7.82 MOA.

With the small triangle chosen on your power selector, the hashes are 2.74, 6.00, 7.83, 9.775 MOA.

Last edited:
The answer's in that first picture. I was questioning it at first, but the reticle should be the same MOA for the whole scope line, regardless of the magnification range.

With the large triangle chosen on your power selector, the first hash is 2.19 MOA, the second hash is 4.80 MOA, the small bottom hash is 6.26 MOA, and the tip of the lower line is 7.82 MOA.

With the small triangle chosen on your power selector, the hashes are 2.74, 6.00, 7.83, 9.775 MOA.

Good call. I guess I just kind of glossed over the picture once I saw the big bullet, small bullet!

Next question.....can anyone with one of these scopes in 3.5 - 14x please take a look at it and tell me at what power the marks are, I want to send my guy a chart.

Thanks nomadpilot!!!!!!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.