Vx-5hd reticles

Well, plenty of people read the post but no responses, let me narrow it down a bit.

Prefer a bdc of sorts so that narrows it to the b&c or impact 29

Are either illuminated on the vx5hd?
How fine are the impact 29 dots? Are they useable for hunting from close dense forest out to 6-700 yards? This is for a 24" 7 rem mag shooting 162s @ 3050fps. Hunting mule deer, elk and a possible black bear.

Tagging in. Considering the impact 29-moa but I'm worried that it's too busy for hunting. The other reticle I'm considering is the windplex for hold offs.

The Impact 29 reticle is very thin. It has very low contrast when looking thru the scope. For me the reticle disappears easily in shadow and on dark objects (think bear). The Impact 29 is not illuminated on the VX5HD. Only the fire dot is. The Impact 29 in the VX5 would be wonderful for PRS matches and long range steel. Not hunting IMO. Now, the illuminated Impact 29 reticle in a VX6HD would be the cats meow.

The Impact 29 reticle is very thin. It has very low contrast when looking thru the scope. For me the reticle disappears easily in shadow and on dark objects (think bear). The Impact 29 is not illuminated on the VX5HD. Only the fire dot is. The Impact 29 in the VX5 would be wonderful for PRS matches and long range steel. Not hunting IMO. Now, the illuminated Impact 29 reticle in a VX6HD would be the cats meow.

yikes, thats what I was afraid of--love to up it to the vx6, just not sure the extra magnification, alum caps, throw lever, internal scope level and the lighted reticle options are worth the extra 5 bills

the vx6 3-18 has the B&C, the varmint hunter, the Tmoa, and impact 29 all in lighted reticle options---now I'm left with the option of the vx5 with the b&C or the windplex with dialing for drop---or pony up the cash for the vx6 with lighted options

Had the impact 29 and I liked it for long range shooting but I sold it and went to a windplex for my hunting rifle

With the windplex-- are you using a 100y zero and dialing 4 everything? Or using a mpbr zero (2-3" high @ 100) and dialing for anything past 300?

I went with the impact 29 on my 6.5-284 for hunting. Reason I did, and I'm sure this is untrue, but when personally looking through the firedot and the impact 29 side by side outside, to me it seemed the impact was clearer to me. But I know it's the same glass obviously. To me, it just looked like the thicker reticle on the firedot dimmed the lighting for me.

Just sold my shv, so I'll be picking up the b&c vx5hd for my .300wm

I have been trying to find windplex vx5 HDs the last couple weeks through my typical wholesalers and can't find one anywhere. I wonder if they are focusing production on the new reticle models???

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.