• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

VX-5HD or VX-6HD

mohigan

Hello all,
I am looking for an optic to put on top of a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I am between the VX-5HD and the VX-6HD in 3-15, and 3-18 respectively. The VX-6HD is in the budget, but at the top end. It is always nice to save a little money. I really don't think I need illumination. Does anyone have any thoughts on which way to go? I know the glass is the same in each, and the custom shop said when they open back up they can add a zero stop windage dial to a VX-5Hd. I think this leaves the difference in magnification as the biggest feature that sets them apart.

VX5 3x15 is either a 44 or 56mm objective.

The VX6 is a 44 or 50mm.

Check with @warpig602 he sells a lot of the VX5 44mm on here.

Last edited:
Have a VX5HD (44mm) on my Ridegline 6.5 PRC. Fantastic lightweight setup and at no point have I thought the difference between 15 and 18 power would justify the price difference. Contact Warpig on these forums for a great deal on whichever you decide to go with. Best prices out there and great guy to deal with.

I have one each on my wifes rifle and mine. I havent even put the battery in the vx6 so there goes the illuminated part. Zero stop on windage doesnt matter. Flip caps are nice if you like them and should value around 100$ the big difference for me is the extra zoom. Also, depending on what size objective you want, there has been some clearances on the vx6hd. I believe i paid less than 100 more for mine over the vx5hd so with the alumina caps they were same price. Worth noting* make sure you keep the allen for the caps handy. Went to sight in without them, was shooting high but couldnt turn the dial below zero, made for a wasted trip. But totally my own fault.

They both have the same glass, the firedot reticle is a bit thick for shooting past 600 yards, the TMOA, Impact, fine duplex are better for long shooting. You can also get a windage turret numbered 0-9 Right and left as your free CDS dial, the standard VX5 dial is the plastic pop off kind numbered 1-20 as it is an elevation dial.

I have one each on my wifes rifle and mine. I havent even put the battery in the vx6 so there goes the illuminated part. Zero stop on windage doesnt matter. Flip caps are nice if you like them and should value around 100$ the big difference for me is the extra zoom. Also, depending on what size objective you want, there has been some clearances on the vx6hd. I believe i paid less than 100 more for mine over the vx5hd so with the alumina caps they were same price. Worth noting* make sure you keep the allen for the caps handy. Went to sight in without them, was shooting high but couldnt turn the dial below zero, made for a wasted trip. But totally my own fault.
How noticeable is the extra zoom between the 15 and the 18? Do you think the zoom is worth it?

For me the only thing the VX6HD has over the VX5HD is the TMOA reticle. The impact reticle in the VX5HD is a great substitute, really not that busy and I found it very useful. Like mentioned above get in contact with Warpig, he'll set you up with a great price

Copy that, I had that 4-20x52 scope with the TMOA reticle, awesome scope but giant. I was offering my input in line with the OPs 2 choices, the 3-15 vs 3-18 and forgot about the 4-20. Either way you go it's a Leupold and will be a great option on your rifle, I have the VX6HD 3-18x44 on my 6.5 PRC Ridgline. Weighs 7.5 lbs. The CDS turret Leupold cut for me is money to 625 yards, that's as far as I've tested it.