• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

VX-5HD or VX-6HD

I have a VX6 3-18x44 non-HD, with the Boone & Crockett reticle. That is a good hunting scope, especially big game. Also have the VX6-HD with the Varmint hunter reticle - more lines & finer - and definitely a step up with the HD. VX5HD or VX6HD, 3x15, 3x18, or 4-20, probably couldn't go wrong either way if you have the reticle you like.

How noticeable is the extra zoom between the 15 and the 18? Do you think the zoom is worth it?
As good as the glass is on the VX5/6 scopes, you'll absolutely not need the extra 3X if your satisfied with the VX5 3-15. I own the VX5 3-15x44 and it's plenty of magnification for any range I use the rifle for. We shot ground hogs with it beyond 1000 yards and still could put the crosshairs on the hog and easily see fur on either side of the vertical post. Very clear and excellent quality glass. Also very lightweight scope (which is why I purchased it ). Good luck.

As good as the glass is on the VX5/6 scopes, you'll absolutely not need the extra 3X if your satisfied with the VX5 3-15. I own the VX5 3-15x44 and it's plenty of magnification for any range I use the rifle for.

Agreed, unless you really need the extra 3x at the top end for your application, save the money and get the VX5. Same glass, same weight(or less depending) and all the same features, minus electronic leveling aid and alumina caps.

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 great scope have switched from Leupold and Zeiss to the swaros on all my rifles, cant fault them the 18 power is noticeably better than the 15 on smaller targets and unbelievable in low light

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 great scope have switched from Leupold and Zeiss to the swaros on all my rifles, cant fault them the 18 power is noticeably better than the 15 on smaller targets and unbelievable in low light
Definitely would be way outside the same budget as someone's Leupold budget.

VX6 HD gets my vote. I have 8 of them currently. I also have a VX5 HD too on my 17HMR which is a 3-15. End of the day the VX6 HD comes with the turn knob accessory which I really like. Furthermore, the 6 has a leveling illuminated reticle which comes in handy for me personally when I'm shooting groundhogs or other long range shots. IF you intend to use the scope for use over 400 yards, I would go VX6HD. If you're only using for short distance then get the VX5 HD like I have my 17 HMR. Also, the 6 HD actually has a windage dial. The 5's don't. Clarity of the glass is the same for both.

I dumped almost all my Swaro Z3 and Z5 in favor of the Leupold VX5/VX6. Yes, the Swaro was slightly better in some regards, but nothing, to me, that warranted the extra cost. I have a rifle where I was counting ounces(literally) and it still wears a Swaro. We often get hung up on a few ounces in a scope but unless you're evaluating your entire hunting setup from boots to hat, you won't notice the 2oz difference.

Im not saying Leupold is the best scope out there, Im saying its a hard scope to beat when you consider ALL factors. I still have some Nightforce, Trijicons, Swaro and Nikon. Those scopes are on rifles where certain factors were more important than others. Scopes are like footwear, I dont need Air Jordans to take the trash out, my slippers do just fine, Im sure the Jordans are slightly more comfortable but I still get the job done with slippers.

VX6 HD gets my vote. I have 8 of them currently. I also have a VX5 HD too on my 17HMR which is a 3-15. End of the day the VX6 HD comes with the turn knob accessory which I really like. Furthermore, the 6 has a leveling illuminated reticle which comes in handy for me personally when I'm shooting groundhogs or other long range shots. IF you intend to use the scope for use over 400 yards, I would go VX6HD. If you're only using for short distance then get the VX5 HD like I have my 17 HMR. Also, the 6 HD actually has a windage dial. The 5's don't. Clarity of the glass is the same for both.

I might be the only person who doesn't use the throw lever on the power ring.
Ive actually never heard of anyone leaving the leveling feature on after mounting. Don't you find it distracting with it flashing if you arent perfectly leveled?

Side note, I can take a 3-15 well past 400. I suppose it depends on your target size and application though.

everyone to their own but for me the Swaro's are worth the extra money, here in NZ the cost between the Leupold 5&6 is not much different to the swaro, lots of guys are switching to swaro's. As my eyes get older, placing that long distance shot where you want on a small animal and having a clean kill is important and being able to properly identify in low light is crucial, I spend more on the optics now than the rifle as for me it makes more of a difference, weight is neither here or there for me its about the clarity.

I might be the only person who doesn't use the throw lever on the power ring.
Ive actually never heard of anyone leaving the leveling feature on after mounting. Don't you find it distracting with it flashing if you arent perfectly leveled?
I like using it at the range and I have used it a couple times on some long hunting shots where I had time to set up. I use it just like a bubble level and It saves me from having to mount one on my scope or rings.

I was skeptical that I would use the throw lever, but after taking it out hunting I love it. So much easier to run through magnification when you are looking through the scope at an animal.

everyone to their own but for me the Swaro's are worth the extra money, here in NZ the cost between the Leupold 5&6 is not much different to the swaro, lots of guys are switching to swaro's. As my eyes get older, placing that long distance shot where you want on a small animal and having a clean kill is important and being able to properly identify in low light is crucial, I spend more on the optics now than the rifle as for me it makes more of a difference, weight is neither here or there for me its about the clarity.
Yes sir, if Clarity is paramount, its hard to argue the Leupold is better in that department. If low light performance is your daisy, you simply can't beat the S&B Polar T96.

I like using it at the range and I have used it a couple times on some long hunting shots where I had time to set up. I use it just like a bubble level and It saves me from having to mount one on my scope or rings.

I was skeptical that I would use the throw lever, but after taking it out hunting I love it. So much easier to run through magnification when you are looking through the scope at an animal.

I may toss one on, it's not as obtrusive as some I've seen.
Interesting thought on the level, truly never crossed my mind to use it that way.