• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

VX-5HD or VX-6HD

I had the same question a couple years ago so I called leupold. The guy I spoke with said the only difference between the 5 and 6 is options construction and glass is the same I went with the vx5 3x15x44 great scope no complaints. It's mounted to mod 70 in 300wsm

Hello all,
I am looking for an optic to put on top of a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I am between the VX-5HD and the VX-6HD in 3-15, and 3-18 respectively. The VX-6HD is in the budget, but at the top end. It is always nice to save a little money. I really don't think I need illumination. Does anyone have any thoughts on which way to go? I know the glass is the same in each, and the custom shop said when they open back up they can add a zero stop windage dial to a VX-5Hd. I think this leaves the difference in magnification as the biggest feature that sets them apart.
S&B 5x25 or IOR

Hello all,
I am looking for an optic to put on top of a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I am between the VX-5HD and the VX-6HD in 3-15, and 3-18 respectively. The VX-6HD is in the budget, but at the top end. It is always nice to save a little money. I really don't think I need illumination. Does anyone have any thoughts on which way to go? I know the glass is the same in each, and the custom shop said when they open back up they can add a zero stop windage dial to a VX-5Hd. I think this leaves the difference in magnification as the biggest feature that sets them apart.
Have both, just cant go wrong either way. Depends on use, personal preference. Dont overthink this.

Have a VX5HD (44mm) on my Ridegline 6.5 PRC. Fantastic lightweight setup and at no point have I thought the difference between 15 and 18 power would justify the price difference. Contact Warpig on these forums for a great deal on whichever you decide to go with. Best prices out there and great guy to deal with.
I have the 3.5 -18 on my 28 nosler. I have vx6 7- 42 on my 375 cheytac. Love both! Just different need and use considerations

Hello all,
I would look at the zeiss conquest it's a great glass and well worth the money

Hello all,
I have a new CA Ridgeline in 65 prc. After looking at a $1300 Zeiss, and a $1800 Swarovski, and the lewy VX6-HD 3-18x50, I was absolutely amazed at how much better the VX6 HD was! I am only looking for long range hunting deer/antelope so the lewey fit the bill, and was lighter in weight to boot. With a lifetime warranty, I have bought several used Leupolds, and saved THOUSANDS! I bought the VX6 off Ebay for $1200.00. It was one year old, and used for one hunt. It was virtually brand new in the box. If I draw the deer tag in AZ, I will be hunting the Coues deer, and this scope is absolutely awesome to load test with! I HIGHLY recommend.

Hello all,
I have owned both but have since switched to March Optics and have been much happier. The March 2.5-25x52 is perfect for a lightweight long range hunting scope and they are much more reliable than any Leupold I have owned. The VX6 3-18 I just sold would not hold zero and I couldn't get my rifle sighted in so I put a March on it just to see what would happen and I had it dialed in after 3 rounds. Its a shame because I really liked the Leupolds for a lightweight hunting scope but the 3 I had just weren't reliable especially when dialing in elevation and windage. All 3 March scopes have been flawless so far.

As stated previously the aluminas and the SLR are cool. I am just as happy with the 5hd which has the fire dot. That is what I find to be worth the extra money. Gives a great aim point in low light when a bear shoulder is hard enough to find without a black cross hair over it. If you save the money you won't be too disappointed. You can always get a 6hd for the next one and compare.

I have worked up loads for 6 different rifles with the VX5HD 3-15 x 44 and found them all to be outstanding in tracking and holding zero. I know there are can be scopes with manufacturer defects but have not seen it with the VX5HD. I prefer the impact-29 reticle and love the low profile locking elevation turret. 15x will allow you to effectively place the crosshairs on any medium to large sized game past any reasonable, or unreasonable, distance (1200 yards, no problem). I use the reticle for windage hold so I prefer a covered windage turret. For a light weight hunting scope this is a great choice in my opinion. The only problem I have encountered is the questionable o-ring placement (seems like added as an afterthought) on the windage turret cap (usually falls off very quickly). Otherwise, very nice scope.