VX-5HD Opinions?

Get the fire dot reticle, you will not regret it. Pick up the rifle and the dot comes on, set it aside and it goes off in five minutes. Have two of the 3-15x44 ZL2. Ranged a coyote at 617 down a power line cut, dialed 610 but I hit it more in the middle body. Watched it spin a couple of times and make a break for the thick pines. I'm sure it's still there.

I personally "had" a hard time trusting optics that say Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Bushnell, Athlon, Sightron, Maven, etc for the longest time. I do a lot of expensive and sometimes extreme hunts. So in my mind, it was hard for me to take $1000 and under optic on those hunts. A scope failure just wasn't an option. So I've mainly stuck with NF, S&B, Swaro X5, Kahles "now" , and a few others. It's a mind thing. BUT I honestly feel the gigs up with the high end optics. I constantly buy and try everything from low end Vortex up to that $3800 range. I don't baby any of them and get to twisting and spinning on this and that. I just haven't had any real issues with any. Today's optics have really changed. The glass that comes with the VX5, Mark 5HD, Zeiss V4 ad V6, Maven, Vortex Razors and so on are so close to the top tier. We are literally arguing over the tiniest bits of Chromatic Aberration that it makes me giggle…or whether or not you could see a bullet hole at 17.43 miles vs the other at only 17.40 miles. I've gotten to the point now that I absolutely trust these "lower" end optics on what we'd call once in a lifetime hunts. They are just that good.

Get the fire dot reticle, you will not regret it. Pick up the rifle and the dot comes on, set it aside and it goes off in five minutes. Have two of the 3-15x44 ZL2. Ranged a coyote at 617 down a power line cut, dialed 610 but I hit it more in the middle body. Watched it spin a couple of times and make a break for the thick pines. I'm sure it's still there.

So do you leave the firedot on? I always turn it off but like you mentioned it turns off automatically in 5 minutes. Maybe I will turn it on for hunts.

This would be correct. 15 MOA per rev, but it stops I think half to 1 MOA or so short of the full Rev. So the vx3 gives 14-14.5 MOA, the VX-5 with ZL2 gives just under 30. I haven't handled a zl3 scope so I can't speak for them. But a vx3 with the zl1, a vx5 with zl2, and a vx6 with the zl2. The zl2 will give you all the adjustment you need for hunting with most long range type chamberings.
The vx5hd and vx6hd both have 20 moa per rev but you lose 2moa of adjustment on the second go round netting 38moa in the zl2 and 58 with a zl3.
The vx3i/vx3hd have 15moa per revolution

I bought the 3-15x44 HTMR with mil turrets for my 28 Nosler to try to keep all my rifles Mil. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm impressed with the glass looking through it at low light in the backyard.

The reticle center dot is way too big for precision target shooting IMO. The turrets are mushy and you can't really hear the clicks, but it seems to track well regardless. The overall feel looks a little flimsy like the turret system or caps may break eventually. However, if one was using this scope for hunting alone, it is a nice lightweight scope. For the price, I think that there are better options out there, but if weight is an issue, this may be the best choice for some.

Hunting - Yes. Tactical Shooting and Hunting Combined - Probably Not. Target Shooting - No.

The reticle center dot is way too big for precision target shooting IMO. The turrets are mushy and you can't really hear the clicks, but it seems to track well regardless. The overall feel looks a little flimsy like the turret system or caps may break eventually. However, if one was using this scope for hunting alone, it is a nice lightweight scope. For the price, I think that there are better options out there, but if weight is an issue, this may be the best choice for some.

Hunting - Yes. Tactical Shooting and Hunting Combined - Probably Not. Target Shooting - No.
What do you think is a better option for the price? I'm genuinely curious not being facetious