VX-5HD 2-10, VX3-HD 2.5-8, or Viper HS 2.5-10

Lee Deming

Have posted before on this topic and received quite a bit of great advice. Kind of rethinking my choice. I hunt elk in thick, doghair lodgepole and open grasslands in MT. Kind of a one rifle guy. Initially I selected Leupold's VX-5HD 2-10 to cover all of my bases. When I retired I received a very generous gift card to Scheel's from the staff at work. I got a notice that there was a VX-5HD for sale and I called before driving all the way in to town. The gun counter guy assured me that the $899 scope was a CDS. Of course, when I got there it wasn't a CDS. Now, it was just a mistake, and I'm not terminally cranky over it but I've had a chance to think about it. Leupold will etch a dial for $80, but if I was going to do that I would just buy up to begin with. So, does anyone have any advice about alternatives? Are the VX3's significantly different for hunting purposes? Any ideas about the Viper HS 2.5-10? I could have Kenton Industries or another company etch a turret for the Viper.

Check out the Nightforce SHV in 3-10. I really like that scope. And the glass is probably better than any you listed.

If it were me I'd go the vx5 out of those. I have one in 3-15x56 and really like it. Like Hoss50 said look at the shv. Another one to consider a Zeiss V4 3-12x44 would also be good. I own the HS 4-16x44 and will get rid of it in the future. It's really hazy on higher power. No matter what the outside conditions are it gets that way. Yes vortex has the best warranty in the business but it also seems like more of their scopes get sent back vs the other top brands.

Vx5 has better glass than vx3. Lots better than the vortex and I think better than the shv although that is a good scope albeit a little heavy. If I was going to be dialing a bunch I would consider the NF. Since you had gift card you would probably come out better keeping the vx5 and getting a dial cut. However those dials are only good for one set of conditions. If you are hunting in the same place with the same general conditions it's not bad.

Burris makes a Veracity in the 2-10x also. That would be a good choice. I have the 3-15x and really like it.

My VX6 (non-HD) 2-12x is very good too.

Big difference in glass between my 3-15 VX5HD and 4-14 SHV. Glass on the 5HD is noticably better to me. I haven't looked through the VX3HD, but the older VX3 are fine for the kind of hunting you're talking about.

If you can catch the 5HD on sale it's an excellent scope. A non-CDS model can't just have the CDS dial added for the $80 cap, the turrets are different. Get the model you want from the start.

Okay, I am waiting on delivery of the Leupold. https://www.leupold.com/vx-5hd-2-10x42-cds-zl2-illum-firedot-duplex-riflescope
Any advice on set up or anything else I have forgotten? Thinking about the CDS, elevation and temperature are the unknowns for this scope. I hunt equal time from 8,000' to a little over 3,000' elevation. Think I should average those? And temperature will range from 70 degrees to -20 or colder. Same question. Looking forward to ranging, dialing, and shooting this setup.

Probably isn't what you want to hear. But with the difference in your hunting conditions I would look at getting a shooting app (I use the shooter app). Enter the information for your current conditions and dial. Good luck

I second the dialing option (non-CDS). If you switch rifles or bullets, etc. the current turret is kind of worthless.

My advice is just make a drop chart for on your scope bell or wherever you like it. My personal theory is that if it's far enough I'm going to have to do more calculations than a simple drop chart, I'm either going to have enough opportunity to do that, or else I shouldn't be taking the shot to begin with. Of course there is always an exception to the rule, lol.

Okay, I am waiting on delivery of the Leupold. https://www.leupold.com/vx-5hd-2-10x42-cds-zl2-illum-firedot-duplex-riflescope
Any advice on set up or anything else I have forgotten? Thinking about the CDS, elevation and temperature are the unknowns for this scope. I hunt equal time from 8,000' to a little over 3,000' elevation. Think I should average those? And temperature will range from 70 degrees to -20 or colder. Same question. Looking forward to ranging, dialing, and shooting this setup.
I missed this thread earlier. You already ordered it so you might as well get the CDS dial as it's included. I have several in the drawer as I don't use them on the scope. I just build a chart for the situation (save them in a file) and tape them to the stock. If you were going to be hunting from 3-8K in the same day you would know the temperature range and I would pick 5K for my elevation. I also carry a kestrel and mess with it when I'm just glassing to see how real world compares to my chart. The chart has never been off enough to matter to me. I use MOA and just dial I I can't hold with the reticle (I have the TMOA the most and one Impact 29) or its within a certain drop distance. What sucks is you dont get to pick your reticle and build the scope around it anymore.