VX-5HD 2-10, VX3-HD 2.5-8, or Viper HS 2.5-10

Probably isn't what you want to hear. But with the difference in your hunting conditions I would look at getting a shooting app (I use the shooter app). Enter the information for your current conditions and dial. Good luck
Thought about those. Do you use one that you recommend?
I second the dialing option (non-CDS). If you switch rifles or bullets, etc. the current turret is kind of worthless.

My advice is just make a drop chart for on your scope bell or wherever you like it. My personal theory is that if it's far enough I'm going to have to do more calculations than a simple drop chart, I'm either going to have enough opportunity to do that, or else I shouldn't be taking the shot to begin with. Of course there is always an exception to the rule, lol.
Sure, thanks. There is a chance that I might get a different rifle or use different bullets but I have been shooting the same rifle for 30 years and only switched to my current load when I couldn't find the Hornady 270 gr. spire points I had been using for two decades. I appreciate the help.

The Hornady on line calculator has been dead nuts on for me when I compare it to my Kestrel. You can copy it to a word document, and for me it is way too cluttered. I just type up my own with the dope I want based off my Kestrel or the Hornady site. I just use the standard calculator with a G7 BC.

Shoot your rifle/load and compare true trajectory to the CDS. I never wanted to use one so I dont have personal experiece, and only see a lot of people say the CDS is not accurate past certain distances (500 comes to mind).

Lee,
Yes I use the shooter app. Not saying it's the best but I do like it. Using one of those types of apps you could develop different drop charts for the different areas you hunt and carry or tape them to your rifle or scope as others have suggested. Of course a person should verify information you are using.

Thought about those. Do you use one that you recommend?

Sure, thanks. There is a chance that I might get a different rifle or use different bullets but I have been shooting the same rifle for 30 years and only switched to my current load when I couldn't find the Hornady 270 gr. spire points I had been using for two decades. I appreciate the help.
Haha my advice is only worth what you paid for it!

I'm also a BIG believer in "buy what YOU want".

If you will use the CDS, then by all means go for it. Could save you a little time in the field if it is set for your hunt.

Not to muddy the waters (again), but have you considered the vortex HD LHT 3-15?

I bought one this week. I've heard so many comparisons to the VX5 line so I compared them hand in hand. Now, I was inside a store, so comparing glass was a bit of a moot point. They both should be top shelf for that price point.

The vortex turret clicks were worlds ahead of the Leupold. That was a big seller.

I did like the Leupold revolution system and zero stop. I like the vortex zeroset as well.

Vortex has illumination, the Leupold I was looking at in the same price range did not, but you can get them with illumination.

The reticle choices was the other big one for me, I just don't love any of the Leupold reticles. They do have some that would be functional, though.

The vortex comes with a free ballistic strip coupon, as well 😁

Just some food for thought 😀

Lee,
Yes I use the shooter app. Not saying it's the best but I do like it. Using one of those types of apps you could develop different drop charts for the different areas you hunt and carry or tape them to your rifle or scope as others have suggested. Of course a person should verify information you are using.
Yes, thank you. I reread your response and found that app. It looks amazing, frankly. For the initial etching, I have a smith lined up to mount it, chronograph it, and make recommendations. So, the CDS dial is for convenience. Looking forward to shooting it this winter, spring and summer at all elevations and at different wind speeds, etc. I already have drop charts for my current setup taped to my range finder, so that part will be easy. I almost bought the HTMR? reticle because I like the BDC on my Vortex. But, when I looked through a firedot I couldn't believe how naturally the dot lined up with the target-(a bear at the Scheel's store. So in those situations in heavy timber at 2X I think that will be great.
Lee,

Haha my advice is only worth what you paid for it!

I'm also a BIG believer in "buy what YOU want".

If you will use the CDS, then by all means go for it. Could save you a little time in the field if it is set for your hunt.

Not to muddy the waters (again), but have you considered the vortex HD LHT 3-15?

I bought one this week. I've heard so many comparisons to the VX5 line so I compared them hand in hand. Now, I was inside a store, so comparing glass was a bit of a moot point. They both should be top shelf for that price point.

The vortex turret clicks were worlds ahead of the Leupold. That was a big seller.

I did like the Leupold revolution system and zero stop. I like the vortex zeroset as well.

Vortex has illumination, the Leupold I was looking at in the same price range did not, but you can get them with illumination.

The reticle choices was the other big one for me, I just don't love any of the Leupold reticles. They do have some that would be functional, though.

The vortex comes with a free ballistic strip coupon, as well 😁

Just some food for thought 😀
Thanks FrogFire. My current setup is a Vortex and I haven't any complaints except it is too complicated for this guy who started elk hunting with iron sights, then upgraded to a fixed power 4X and thought I was in heaven. If that scope didn't break I might be shooting it still-think it was a Bushnell of some type. In fact, I didn't want to switch at all because I can still hit an inch and a half center dot on a 300 yard target off of my hunting pack almost every time with that Vortex.

Agree with firedot duplex with old eyes. I like less clutter. I have vx5hd but have not settled on load yet to order a cds etched. At $80 for additional cds caps, i will probably order a couple of extra ones for different condition. I will never take shot over 500yds at an animal due to my personal limitations and respect for the animal.

Agree with firedot duplex with old eyes. I like less clutter. I have vx5hd but have not settled on load yet to order a cds etched. At $80 for additional cds caps, i will probably order a couple of extra ones for different condition. I will never take shot over 500yds at an animal due to my personal limitations and respect for the animal.
I saw a bull elk shot at 440 yards. Shooter was a full time guide who had a couple of days off to hunt with us. Prone, bipod, maybe 5 MPH wind, maybe. Knocked it down, tracked it for a mile, killed it when it jumped out of its bed. With my current setup I would shoot an elk at 500 yards with confidence but that experience makes me want to make sure that confidence is warranted. Beyond 500 I might pass, just depends on how much range time I had at those distances.