vtr 700

thomo

Hi forum.
Has anyone had much to do with the vtr 700 in 308, and would it be a good hunting rifle
cheers

Hi Thomo,

I worked with a VTR that had the short triangular barrel. At first the gun would not shoot a decent group. We had to cut the dickens out of stock to float the barrel.This gun was difficult to work a load with, but we found it preferred Varget powder and Nosler bullets. We worked a load for the Nosler Accubond which has now evolved into the BT's. The rifle I worked with likes its COAL so long you have to use it as a single fed rifle. With all this said the gun now shoots well with a combination of good hunting bullets.

My good friend has one that he shoots pretty much every weekend. He was a load worked out that will shoot 5-shot 1/2 inch groups; 155 grain AMax/Varget @ 3030 fps. The energy is 2148 ft-lbs @ 500 yards according to Ballistic FTE. This is plenty for even elk.

Thank you peashooter and jlamb, helpful info will look at stock and powders today.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.