vtr 700

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by thomo, Oct 2, 2010.

1. thomo

thomo Well-Known Member

Hi forum.
    Has anyone had much to do with the vtr 700 in 308, and would it be a good hunting rifle
    cheers

2. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

Hi Thomo,

I worked with a VTR that had the short triangular barrel. At first the gun would not shoot a decent group. We had to cut the dickens out of stock to float the barrel.This gun was difficult to work a load with, but we found it preferred Varget powder and Nosler bullets. We worked a load for the Nosler Accubond which has now evolved into the BT's. The rifle I worked with likes its COAL so long you have to use it as a single fed rifle. With all this said the gun now shoots well with a combination of good hunting bullets.

3. jlamb

jlamb Well-Known Member

My good friend has one that he shoots pretty much every weekend. He was a load worked out that will shoot 5-shot 1/2 inch groups; 155 grain AMax/Varget @ 3030 fps. The energy is 2148 ft-lbs @ 500 yards according to Ballistic FTE. This is plenty for even elk.

4. thomo

thomo Well-Known Member

Thank you peashooter and jlamb, helpful info will look at stock and powders today.