Vortex Viper Turret

dcshorthairs

Guys-
Im a newbie to the forum but have been behind the scenes for a while. Figured this would be a good topic for my first post.

I was wondering if anyone has the turrets installed on their vortex scope. I have a viper 6.5-20X44 that I really like. Its sitting on my 22-250 varmit rifle. Im shooting the Winchester Supreme 55 grain SBT and my gun loves them. If anyone has used them, Im trying to find out how they like the addition of the turret and if it has improved their shooting ability past 600 yards. My main goal with this gun is a deer/antelope gun with an occasional yote or two.

My dad has a 7mag remmy with a leupold CDS with the turret and I love shooting it. Even up close at 2 or 300 yards, just dial in the turret and you are good to go.

Thanks for any info you guys might have about the vortex situation

gun)

Did I understand you correctly? You want to use a ballistic turret on a 22-250 for deer and antelope past 600 yards? I would prefer that rifle for closer distances. The path of a 55 gr past 600 yards is dropping pretty rapidly. Less than perfect placement with the small bullet could result in less than perfect terminal performance. I limit my use of ballistic turrets to 600 or so even with larger rifles. This is due to the ever growing error to elevation from changes in altitude and ambient temperatures.

dcshorthairs, welcome to the forum, glad to see you joining in the discussions.

Jeff

Did I understand you correctly? You want to use a ballistic turret on a 22-250 for deer and antelope past 600 yards? I would prefer that rifle for closer distances. The path of a 55 gr past 600 yards is dropping pretty rapidly. Less than perfect placement with the small bullet could result in less than perfect terminal performance. I limit my use of ballistic turrets to 600 or so even with larger rifles. This is due to the ever growing error to elevation from changes in altitude and ambient temperatures.

Jeff

Yep, you understand correctly. I would like to occasionally shoot past 600. I know the ballistics of a 250 that far out drop in feet quickly, but its still fun to push the envelope-mainly at the range. I really want the turrets for anything up to 600 for sure for hunting purposes. Temp will be set around 50 @ 5000ft elevation. Where I live, we too have a wide range in temps so I figured I would get somewhere close to what I would like to have temp wise.

Be ethical and keep the 22-250 for varmets like you said. Yes, a 22-250 could kill a deer/antelope but it is not an adequate caliber for 600 yard shots on them. Look into a .243 if you want a more "all purpose" gun.

My main question was if anyone has the turrets installed on their vortex scope and how you like them. I know what the 250 is capable of and not capable of. Just looking for a review of the turrets. Thats all.

Yep, you understand correctly. I would like to occasionally shoot past 600. I know the ballistics of a 250 that far out drop in feet quickly, but its still fun to push the envelope-mainly at the range. I really want the turrets for anything up to 600 for sure for hunting purposes. Temp will be set around 50 @ 5000ft elevation. Where I live, we too have a wide range in temps so I figured I would get somewhere close to what I would like to have temp wise.

Ok, well I make my own. Do some searching on here using the search tab at the top right of the page. There are some threads that show how to make a ballistic turret. I like to make my own with drops I have proven in the fireld with my rifl and loads at my elevation. I find this very affective to 500 with my .223 AR which is only used on yotes and most of the shots time is of essence. I have the very scope you mentioned on the AR.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts