Vortex Viper scopes?

all i have ever heard about scott at liberty optics is great things. will be buying one this spring from him.

If you are talking about the new Viper PST FFP scope they will not be available till the first part of April. There are some place, such as Liberty and SWFA, that are taking "pre-orders" on them, but nobody has any of them yet. There are some people on SnipersHide that got to see them at SHOT last week. Its a mixed review...some liked them, some thought they were lacking.

Looks like the price will be right around $1000.00 from what I have seen. Looks like a great scope.

So is the viper pst EBR-1 SECOND FOCAL PLANE RETICLE ? Can anybody tall me the good and bad of each one. First focal plane reticle or second focal plane reticle witch is best ? thanks for info.

The ones that are priced $899 are the PST FFP models front focal plane, the ones that are priced $749 are just PST models or second plane.

Hope that helped.

-Nathan

So is the viper pst EBR-1 SECOND FOCAL PLANE RETICLE ? Can anybody tall me the good and bad of each one. First focal plane reticle or second focal plane reticle witch is best ? thanks for info.

Here is a good description of the differences: Focal Plane Reticles

Here is another opinion and description: First Plane vs. Second Plane

Is one better than the other. Depends upon the shooter usually. I prefer FFP scopes, but that is just me.

Last edited:

Front Focal Plane(FFP)- any magnification power will work.

Second Focal Plane(SFP)- only works on one power and the unit (MIL or MOA) is usually set at max power. For example on a 4-16x power scope. (Max power)16x- one moa unit is one moa. Crank the power down to 4x, now one moa unit represent four moa. 8x, one moa unit represent two moa. See the pattern?

So the second focal plane is a problem to uneducated scopes owners when they use the units (MIL or MOA) on various powers to figure out the size of an object and holdover reference. But they are not a problem if only using the center of the duplex and turret for adjustment. -Yet many SFP scope owners still use the holdover at various power with some mathwork(It is actually fun).

-This was as simple as I could have said it...

-Also the only competitor I found against Vortex Viper FFP is Horus Visions Raptor model (It's also ffp). This is fairly exciting...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts