Vortex Viper question

jrg_80

Cabelas has the Vortex Viper Hs 6-24x50 on sale and my question is is this scope rigid enough to withstand the abuse from a 338 Lapua and would this be a good scope to consider for this caliber if 1K yards would be your max your probably ever be shooting? Thanks

jrg

Cabelas has the Vortex Viper Hs 6-24x50 on sale and my question is is this scope rigid enough to withstand the abuse from a 338 Lapua and would this be a good scope to consider for this caliber if 1K yards would be your max your probably ever be shooting? Thanks

jrg

Thanks for the overwhelming number of responses and insightfullness, really helped in my decision making. :rolleyes:

jrg

I think the lack of response should be your answer. Not that folks were trying to disrespect you in any manner.

If you do some research on heavy hitting calibers.....IE.....338 LM on up to .50 BMG...you'll see folks using scopes like Vortex Razor Gen 1 & 2, NightForce NXS, US Optics, Premier, Tangent Theta, upper Leupold models and S&B. Not saying the Vortex HS might not hold up......but more like...how long would it hold up?

I've used NightForce NXS and Premier Heritage on my heavy hitters. I've never had an issue with these scopes. I have a Vortex Viper and Viper PST...but they serve duty on medium calibers. You might be best served looking for a NightForce NXS...even a lightly used one.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne.
I have done some research and have notice that the majority are in fact shooting from the list you listed above. My question was generated because Cabelas was having a in-store sale on the scope in question and since I'm looking hard at purchasing a 338lm from a gentleman(don't even have a Lapua to my name yet) the price tag caught my eye as a possible "get your foot in the door" optics and work my way up from there.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond and believe that as you stated the Viper line serves its purpose, but on a 338LM might not be its place. If purchase goes thru I will keep my eyes on the Optics section in the classifieds and see what pops up. Thanks again for your time.

jrg

Thank you Wayne.
I have done some research and have notice that the majority are in fact shooting from the list you listed above. My question was generated because Cabelas was having a in-store sale on the scope in question and since I'm looking hard at purchasing a 338lm from a gentleman(don't even have a Lapua to my name yet) the price tag caught my eye as a possible "get your foot in the door" optics and work my way up from there.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond and believe that as you stated the Viper line serves its purpose, but on a 338LM might not be its place. If purchase goes thru I will keep my eyes on the Optics section in the classifieds and see what pops up. Thanks again for your time.

jrg

I understand your predicament...Was in the same situation years ago when I contemplated going for a .50 BMG rifle. I ended up joining the FCSA: vvhttp://www.1moa.org I read every thread I could find about scopes. That led me to purchase my first NXS. At the time I was doing my research...the 5.5-22X NXS was "The Scope" to have for a .50 BMG or any other very heavy recoiling rifle.

You truly can find decent prices on used NXS scopes. Just need to be patient and know what reticle and features you're looking for.

Best of luck...Let us know what happens with the .338 LM purchase and what scope you go with? BTW...There are still Gen 1 Vortex Razor's to be had...NIB.

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.