Vortex Viper Question

ar3006

First off let me apologize if this topic has been discussed over and over but I cant seem to find the definitive answer I am looking for, so I would like some opinions. Until now I have only used Leupold products exclusively, but I have been hearing a lot of really good things about Vortex. I need to scope a new rifle and of course my first choice is the Leupold VX 3 with the B&C reticle. The closet thing I can find in Vortex is the Viper HS with the Dead Hold BDC. I really like the Vortex Viper, and their warranty is on par with Leupold. I have only had a chance to see the Vortex Viper during regular day light and it looks very crisp and clear. I have no early morning or late night comparison. All my Leupold's light up very nice at dawn and dusk, will the Vortex Viper do the same? I do not mind spending the extra money for the Leupold, but if the Vortex can be as good, my wallet and wife would really appreciate it. :) So my main question is for those who own the Vortex Viper HS, do you believe that it will be as good as a Leupold VX3, or is it still not at that level?

I can definitely afford other high end brands, but the warranty is my selling point. And Leupold is #1 in that department, and from what I hear Vortex comes in at 2nd. Thanks.

but the warranty is my selling point. And Leupold is #1 in that department, and from what I hear Vortex comes in at 2nd. Thanks.

Are you being sarcastic, or do you really think Leupold has a better warranty than Vortex?

First off let me apologize if this topic has been discussed over and over but I cant seem to find the definitive answer I am looking for, so I would like some opinions. Until now I have only used Leupold products exclusively, but I have been hearing a lot of really good things about Vortex. I need to scope a new rifle and of course my first choice is the Leupold VX 3 with the B&C reticle. The closet thing I can find in Vortex is the Viper HS with the Dead Hold BDC. I really like the Vortex Viper, and their warranty is on par with Leupold. I have only had a chance to see the Vortex Viper during regular day light and it looks very crisp and clear. I have no early morning or late night comparison. All my Leupold's light up very nice at dawn and dusk, will the Vortex Viper do the same? I do not mind spending the extra money for the Leupold, but if the Vortex can be as good, my wallet and wife would really appreciate it. :) So my main question is for those who own the Vortex Viper HS, do you believe that it will be as good as a Leupold VX3, or is it still not at that level?

I can definitely afford other high end brands, but the warranty is my selling point. And Leupold is #1 in that department, and from what I hear Vortex comes in at 2nd. Thanks.

i can help you out tomorrow night i have a vx3 6.5-20x50 VH rec and a vortex
HS LR WITH a XLR rec and will do a comparison for you then .

cheers D

Vette, no sarcasm here, just my lack of experience with Vortex. Again, I have only ever used Leupold.

Deadidarren, thank you for taking the time in doing the comparison. I really appreciate it.

Ok, I wasn't sure. leupold warranty is not in the same league as Vortex. Vortex covers user error no questions ask.

Vette, no sarcasm here, just my lack of experience with Vortex. Again, I have only ever used Leupold.

Deadidarren, thank you for taking the time in doing the comparison. I really appreciate it.

well i did the comparison and what a surprise it was you would have to have them both in the field to tell them apart optically and even then there is nothing in it as far as hunting is concerned .

and i ran the vortex on 24 and the vx3 was 20 now with the vortex on around 20
there the same .

cheers darren

So you are saying there is no difference, at least in your eyes between the VX3 and the Viper HS, as far as optics is concerned?? Did you try them at low light?? If the Viper HS is as good or slightly better/slightly inferior, then I am spending extra money for probably no good reason. Good reference to the hunting too, because thats all my scopes are for is hunting. I don't ever plan on shooting at any animal past 400 yards, so I really don't need anything with crazy adjustments. Thanks for the info deadidarren.

So you are saying there is no difference, at least in your eyes between the VX3 and the Viper HS, as far as optics is concerned?? Did you try them at low light?? If the Viper HS is as good or slightly better/slightly inferior, then I am spending extra money for probably no good reason. Good reference to the hunting too, because thats all my scopes are for is hunting. I don't ever plan on shooting at any animal past 400 yards, so I really don't need anything with crazy adjustments. Thanks for the info deadidarren.

as per your original post low light evening up until way past twilight when both were useless and i have 4 vx3 and this viper tracks better than all of them but the real test will be when it is a few years old has had some use.
the links below are of the scope i have and it's reticle.

hope this helps

cheers darren

Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_vpr_hs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.