Vortex Viper Quality - Impressed

dig

I recently purchased a Vortex Viper PST 2.5x10x44 in Mil/Mil configuration. I did not want to spend a ton of money as this scope will be ridding in my vehicle most of the time. In the past I have been somewhat of an optics snob, I have S&B's and Zeiss on most of my traveling hunting rifles or Leupold M4's. My first impression of the Viper is outstanding. The features are fantastic, the scope is well built. Last evening I tested the optics at twilight using a newspaper at 30 yards (all the range I had). The optics where clear and bright no edge fuzziness. I would say on par with Leupold however less light gathering than the S&B (50mm objective on the S&B though). I am a believer, as a huge Leupold fan the features and construction of the Vortex Viper pass it.

What are those using the Viper Razor HD's opinions. If the PST is this good the Razor with the HD glass I would think is on Par with S&B or Zeiss and substantially lower cost with better features. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

i have no experiance with s&b, but i take my razor over my zeiss, and nightforce any day of the week

Jump up to a 50mm objective PST. Light gathering is on par or better than a Mark4. Mine appear (at least to me) to be clearer than the Mark4 as well.

Never could afford an S&B. I have other priorities like a new CTS-V.

I just purchased a PST in 4x16x50 and you are absolutely correct. The features and feel is right up there, and the clearity and light gathering seem to me to be at least as good as my VX-3 4.5x14x50 LR. I think I will be very happy if it tracks well. Hope to get out there Sunday afternoon if the smoke from all the fires clears. LOL

OK, so I just came back from the range after sighting in my new Vortex HS 5-15 x 44 with a 30mm tube that Midway has made for them and sells for $499 and when on sale $399. I mounted this on the rifle I will be hunting Elk with this year which is a 300 Ultra Mag. shooting a 211 grain Bob Cautarucio custom boatail at 3150. I know it's not a 50mm but the light gathering consistant positive clicks and their version of Zero stop with shims has to say the least impressed me as a very sound package! Looking forward to test it in the field this October. I have NFS, Zeiss,Leu & Kahles so we shall see if it does indeed hold up to them which I feel it will.

Forrest Ebert, I don't think anyone is saying that the Vortex viper HD and PST's are better than NF, Zeiss, S&B, etc... What we are saying is they appear to be very good scopes for the money, and I personally believe they feel like quality as far as their features go, specially for the money.

OK, so I just came back from the range after sighting in my new Vortex HS 5-15 x 44 with a 30mm tube that Midway has made for them and sells for $499 and when on sale $399. I mounted this on the rifle I will be hunting Elk with this year which is a 300 Ultra Mag. shooting a 211 grain Bob Cautarucio custom boatail at 3150. I know it's not a 50mm but the light gathering consistant positive clicks and their version of Zero stop with shims has to say the least impressed me as a very sound package! Looking forward to test it in the field this October. I have NFS, Zeiss,Leu & Kahles so we shall see if it does indeed hold up to them which I feel it will.

Forrest Ebert, I don't think anyone is saying that the Vortex viper HD and PST's are better than NF, Zeiss, S&B, etc... What we are saying is they appear to be very good scopes for the money, and I personally believe they feel like quality as far as their features go, specially for the money.

On a scale of 1-10 with NightForce being a 10, Leupold bring a 9 and so on, Vortex rates (IMO), 7-8 in quality of image and a solid 10 in value.

I said before, at least with my 60 plus year old eyes, the PST's image quality and any magnification is as good as my mark 4.

They will never be a Schmidt and Bender or a March or a US Optics but for the price point and warranty, it's hard to beat a Vortex.

Just hope the 'fame' don't inflate their ego's too much......:)

I'm anxious to get a pair of Bino's. I hear the Vortex bino's are also a good value. Nor Swaro's mind you but again, for the price point, excellent value....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.