Vortex viper pst

Got one on a 300 RUM and works good. For the price and all the features you can't go wrong. Are there better scopes out there, yeah. But for me right now it works just fine.

I have the 6x24 (MOA) on a Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm and it is excellent. I'd mirror BEEMAN's post...you can certainly spend more money but this is a great VALUE!

I shot two pronghorns at 400 yds plus this year. I sent them my drop data and had the etched turret in two weeks. My buddy shot a pronghorn with it last weekend at 485 yds.

Hey FC124 how many different yardages did you shoot drops at? I was thinking about going with a turret as well. My inputs on SHOOTER seem bang on for elevation out to 700yds. Just starting the long range game so I am still having some problems at the 700 yard target. Have shot a 1.25" group at 400 but things sure change at 700 yds !!

I made my zero be 200 yards. Then I made a target on white cardboard that was 30 inches wide by 48 inches high. I put my 100 yd. target at the top. Then I shot my group at 200 yards. then I moved back to 300 yds. and while aiming at my 200 yd. zero I shot a 5 shot group. then I moved back to 400 yds. and shot another 5 shot group while aiming at the 200 yd. zero.

Then I measured from the center of the 200 yd. group down to the "CENTER" of the 300 yd. group and down to the "CENTER" of the 400 yd. group.

This gives you the arc that your bullet takes going down range. I gave this to Paul at Vortex plus the elevation, humidity and elevation. He then made his computer program numbers match the arc for the elevation I was going to hunt at.

It worked perfectly. Read below:

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

When I got to Wyoming where it was 4500' elevation The custom turret was dead nuts accurate at all the 100 yard intervals out to 900 yards. gun) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

joseph

all theses posts have convinced me that my decision to save up for a Viper PST is a good one...getting a little impatient saving...LOL...that's the hard part about the decision

I'll throw my vote in for the PST! I have the 6x24 and have shot it out to 650. Clicks were dead on. Glass IMHO is amazing, especially for the price. You see them pop up on here all the time for a good price. I ordered one from a guy on here a few months back. It has worked out perfectly. Only thing you do need to be aware of is the tall turrets. I am a backpack hunter, and going on long treks, beating the brush, those turrets to get clicked one way or another. When you go to take the shot, make sure that little red line is pointing at you. This isnt really an issue if you aren't strapping it to your pack and walking miles. Another thing I really like about it is the shim click stop system. It definitely comes in handy!

They are good until you look through a Nightforce. Will make you want to save and upgrade, thats what happened to me...

Just got in from shooting. The conditions are POOR! 30 degrees 11.5 mph wind, 93% humidity. Shot out to 700 yds. Dialed 12 MOA up and 3.5 moa drift. put four out of seven shots in a 8" circle. first three just missed; didn't allow enough wind or elevation. I also tried my 1 moa hash marks in the reticle today. Dead on at 400 yds. Held on the 4 moa mark and it was perfect. Scope seems to track good, still good value I would say. Shooting a 300 RUM with 215 Berger Hybrid @ 2985 fps. May have to tweek my MV. SHOOTER called for 11.6 MOA up and I needed 12 MOA.

I zero'd at 200 yds and used a chronograph to get velocity and evaluate the consistency of my reloads (Berger 168 gr VLD). I shot at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yds and kept good notes. Using the LRBC program on the Vortex website, I entered ballistics data and velocity. The chart vs what I actually shot was close but not close enough for my satisfaction. The key was the "Long Range Drop Data" feature which has you enter actual data from a "far range" shot (I used 600 yds). After this adjustment, their chart matched my 600 yd data and was right on or within 1 click at the closer yardages.

I sent the data to Vortex using the chart they provide and two weeks later my turret was in my hands...in the middle of hunting season even!

I don't dispute Brado16's thoughts on Nightforce but Vortex is a good value for the amount of $$ I could spend. :)

They are good until you look through a Nightforce. Will make you want to save and upgrade, thats what happened to me...

Fair statement. However, there is a problem with it. Save and upgrade to a Nightforce is all well and good but look through a March or US Optics or Schmidt and Bender and keep saving.... How long do you save? How long can you wait? What do you consider the ideal compromise?

All optics are a compromise no matter what the cost.

Granted, the Vortex isn't as clear (marginally to the more discriminating eye) but it's not nearly as expensive. It's a matter of scale/percived quality versus value, why Vortex is such a good seller. The value received for the money spent is a better ratio than the higher end scopes, no question.

I'll take a Vortex in price versus optical quality, features incorporated anyday over the higher cost optics and I have the high end stuff too.

SidecarFlip,

Whats wrong with upgrading overtime? Vortex to Nightforce to US Optics to S.B.?? Its like anything else, buy what you can afford and use until you are no longer satisfied or you can afford to upgrade. Its only human nature to want what we cannot have.

Yes Vortex is good bang for the buck but my PST FFP was not adequate for detail in the field such as judging an elk or deer at longer distances where my NF or SB is crystal clear and lets me leave my spotting scope at home vs having to lug in my pack.

i have a pst 6-24 and dont have any reason to go away from it. my farthest kill is a coyote at 725 with it and hit the dog twice at that range. i also put on long range shoots and this scope is perfect for them. my girlfriend hit my wolf target first shot with it at 900 yards. cant go wrong with them and great service

SidecarFlip,

Whats wrong with upgrading overtime? Vortex to Nightforce to US Optics to S.B.?? Its like anything else, buy what you can afford and use until you are no longer satisfied or you can afford to upgrade. Its only human nature to want what we cannot have.

Yes Vortex is good bang for the buck but my PST FFP was not adequate for detail in the field such as judging an elk or deer at longer distances where my NF or SB is crystal clear and lets me leave my spotting scope at home vs having to lug in my pack.

I use my bino's, never a spotting scope because the **** thing is too touchy anyway.

Keep in mind that the NF is 2 times the PST price and the March and SB is 3 times the price of a PST. I expect better glass when paying substantially more. Having said that, is the glass worth 2 times or 3 times as much? That becomes a personal decision.

I'll have a chance to really see what the PST does next week. I'll be in S. W. NM for mule deer. Around here, ther is really no where to stretch out, maybe a 150 yard shot. NM will be different and mayb I'll find fault then. We shall see.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.