Vortex Viper PST, the scope that never was?

I was looking at Vortex PST416S1A. It shows available with at least 2 vendors at SWFA & Optics Planet as of 10/13/2010.
I can promise you that neither of those vendors have or have had those in stock. They might have them for sale but they are just taking pre orders.

Scott

I have a new gun sitting in the safe that I bought a year ago. I have been waiting for the right scope for it and think I have found one in the "Viper PST". I like the way it looks and the cost. But I will give Vortex until March to get the Viper PST's out or I will think more about a Leupold with the ART reticle or a Nightforce for a scope. I hope Vortex get these scopes out soon because I really like to shoot this new gun.

There are no issues with the erector spring and the turrets already had audible defined clicks. What we are improving is the overall resistance of the turrets so they do not get accidentally changed in the field, but in doing this we are using a heavier clicker spring as well as a total redesign on the turret housing.
Scott

thank you very much.

I am very glad to hear Vortex is taking customer feedback very seriously and trying to make the product right. I wish it would happen faster but good things come to those that wait I hear so lets hope that will be the case here. I have been saving to buy one and have enough now. Maybe by the time these come out though, I might just have to go with their Razor HD. That is one of the finest scopes I have ever looked through, I just dont know how I will get it mounted on my Sako.

Thank you for the replies and continued feedback you guys from Vortex!

I have a new gun sitting in the safe that I bought a year ago. I have been waiting for the right scope for it and think I have found one in the "Viper PST". I like the way it looks and the cost. But I will give Vortex until March to get the Viper PST's out or I will think more about a Leupold with the ART reticle or a Nightforce for a scope. I hope Vortex get these scopes out soon because I really like to shoot this new gun.

I've also got a gun I've been waiting to put a 6-24 FFP on for about a year. I've been watching this scope since it's announcement and have been saving the money. I was a little skeptical around the repeatability of the turrets since there weren't any reviews, but now after reading some reviews, I'm not so worried. I want to use this scope out to ~1200 yds on a custom .308. Would like to get into some practical/tactical competition.

I would like to have Vortexs' opinion on how much better clarity the PST will have over the standard Viper. I think it's a great price for an illuminated reticle. How long is battery life on the illuminated reticle? Any Vortex takers???

jrmy,

Although the PST's and HS's do have a bit better resolution than previous Viper models (mostly due to newer optical design), the real differences & advantages lie in features such as the FFP option, turret design, reticle options and zero stops.

Battery life all PST's & 1-4 HS

1-4x24
low power over 2000 hours
high power 320 hours

all other PST's
low power over 2000 hours
high power 425 hours

Paul @ Vortex

I have been out of the office,on the road, for a couple of weeks. Once I get back sometime this week I will look into where we are at and get back to you.

Scott

Update? Confidence level??

Trying to decide if I want multiple PST's or if I want a Premier....the continuous wait may be deciding factor.

Maybe, if Vortex starts publishing some hard dates.Are we talking weeks, a month, longer.......?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.