Vortex viper PST or Sightron SIII

WVGuns

In the market for a new scope and both of these have my attention. I currently have a couple vortexes but not real familiar with sightron. Ive been reading lots of good things about them tho.Probably end up on my custom 223 to whack and stack groundhogs and praire dogs. Let me know what you guys think.

Either one will serve you well. Not sure if you're looking at the FFP models on each?? The PST will have illumination...the SIII won't unless you go with their S-Tac line. Also, no zero stop for the Sightron.

Having said that.....I've been extremely happy with the SIII's I own. I just purchased a PST FFP a couple of months ago...so haven't used it much at all. I think the glass / coatings on the SIII's is extremely close to or minimally below the NightForce NXS line....when I've compared mine side by side. This makes them a strong value for the money. I've also been impressed with the accuracy and repeatability of the turrets.

As I said earlier....Either would serve you very well. I think optically the SIII might have a slight edge. But this might be totally subjective and others would say the opposite. It might just boil down to features and price?

Good Luck....you've got two great choices there.

Wayne

Appreciate the info Wayne. Ive always been a Leupold man but the last couple years ive been buying vortex. The SIII definatly has some great glass. I looked thru a buddies SIII and a Mark 4 side by side and it was a tough one to call. I really wanna try try the SIII and from what ive read there is a guy on here making custom zero stop shims for the SIII. Just curious about what people think of Sightron.

Very true, I returned three VX-6's for turret issues and the usually upgraded them to a more expensive model for free and sent free CDS turrets. Better to avoid the problem altogether if possible.

I really like the SIII line with exception of the no zero stop and the windage turret counts up in one direction. Vortex has it all for the most part but wish it had more MOA. I used to love Burris optics, still do and I'd really like to run the new XTRII but FFP don't get it for me.

bigngreen

in june or july of this year burris xtr2 will have 2nd fp moa moa with more clicks per rev. and a 1 moa hash mark plex out to 35 moa holdover with a finer cross hairs I have been testing one for about 30 days it works great. I will buy 3 of them when they come out.

That's what were looking for, seriously just stopped an order on NF because of what you just wrote! I really like the SCR reticle but needs to have a fine center at least like the MOAR-T. That should come in at an awesome price point as well!

If Burris comes out with the 2nd focal plane that would be very appealing to me. I'll have to make a note and keep checking on that. When you hear of the release let us know. Thanks for all the info guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.