Vortex Viper PST gen1 6-24x50 vs gen2 5-25x50

SofaKing

IDoes anyone have any practical hands-on experience with the new GEN 2? Currently own the Gen 1 and was wondering if the the Gen 2 is worth upgrading to?

IMHO, no. Zero stop on the Gen 2 is a solid stop but a real pain to set. Reticle on the Gen 2 is way too busy. Glass seems to be the same. Reticle illumination is harder to adjust on the Gern 2 also. The 3-18x44 Gen 2 is a nice low riding scope with a good zoom range though.

GEN2 for me and my sons. We still have gen 1's but the GEN2 EBR-4 SFP is the best to us. As the other poster said the setting of the zero stop is a pain. Other than that the GEN2 are a just a bit heavier but worth it as everything else is better.

I have a couple GEN 1 and 2 GEN 2, one FFP and one SFP. I prefer the GEN2 over the GEN 1. Once you know how to set the zero stop it isn't that bad, but you may fumble with it the first time. I like the clarity and turret manipulation much better. For my application I wish I would have bought both as FFP.

GEN2 for me and my sons. We still have gen 1's but the GEN2 EBR-4 SFP is the best to us. As the other poster said the setting of the zero stop is a pain. Other than that the GEN2 are a just a bit heavier but worth it as everything else is better.
I'm looking at getting a FFP with ebr-7c

I actually had the 7c but it was way to busy for me and hard to see when it's early or late while hunting. Also on dark animals the dots blend in well and disappear. Just my experience. Aloha

I'm looking at getting a FFP with ebr-7c

Don't let them scare you. If you graduated high school or work with your hands, and can read directions, you can set the rzr zero stop in the gen 2 viper.

Ebr7c is fine. Reticles are a preference really but I suppose anyone who thinks is "busy" has never looked through any horus ever. The reticle at x25 is hardly usable for hold FYI.

The illumination controls are for sure stiff. Be prepared to use your man hands.

Don't let them scare you. If you graduated high school or work with your hands, and can read directions, you can set the rzr zero stop in the gen 2 viper.

Ebr7c is fine. Reticles are a preference really but I suppose anyone who thinks is "busy" has never looked through any horus ever. The reticle at x25 is hardly usable for hold FYI.

The illumination controls are for sure stiff. Be prepared to use your man hands.

have you used the EBR-2c?

I have a pair of the 5-25 PST Gen II in FFP with the 2C reticle as they are great scopes for the money. As mentioned, not a super intuitive zero stop to set, but several good YouTube videos out there explaining the process very clearly. Better scope overall than the Gen I for sure. The other scope I own in the same price range is the 5-25 Burris XTR II. It is also a great scope for the money. You can find them for pretty good prices now that the Gen IIIs are out. Only downside with Burris is you may need to purchase new rings as the Burris has a 34mm main tube vs the 30mm tube on the PST.

Adding to what I said earlier. It's dawned on me I have 4 total, 1 SFP,MOA and 3 that are FFP, MOA with the floating dot, (pretty sure) 7c reticle, I like them. I've done the zero set so many times I don't even think about it, just do it, main thing is start with the turret against the stop. All 3 FFP I caught on sale for 900 or less, I think I paid 750 for 1, pretty sure the SFP was 750 too, they are a good value at that price.

I have a pair of the 5-25 PST Gen II in FFP with the 2C reticle as they are great scopes for the money. As mentioned, not a super intuitive zero stop to set, but several good YouTube videos out there explaining the process very clearly. Better scope overall than the Gen I for sure. The other scope I own in the same price range is the 5-25 Burris XTR II. It is also a great scope for the money. You can find them for pretty good prices now that the Gen IIIs are out. Only downside with Burris is you may need to purchase new rings as the Burris has a 34mm main tube vs the 30mm tube on the PST.
How does the xtr ii glass compare to the pst gen 2?

How does the xtr ii glass compare to the pst gen 2?
I have asked myself that question multiple times. Not much help, but I'll just say that I like both. There seems to be days when I favor the XTR and think the glass is noticeably better, then I switch guns and feel the PST is better. Indecisive? I don't know. I have had other shooters using both scopes on the same day who had a definite preference of one over the other, but it has never been biased toward one versus the other. I do know that I have had NO issues at all with tracking or return to zero with either scope and regularly shoot to 1000 yards and beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.