vortex viper pst ffp

BULLBLASTER

I am thinking about buying a viper PST in moa/moa and ffp in 6-24. I have tried the search and only find old threads... maybe I search wrong:rolleyes: but does anyone have any recent reviews on these? Do you own one? Do you like.it? I know it won't be night force quality but it has nice features. And around half the cost and a night force just isn't in my budget.
It will be going on my sendero 300 rum and will be for hunting to 800 or so yards and targets to 1000 or so.
Thanks

IMO and others opinions (Barnhauser) the glass is equal to a Leupy Mark4. I have 3 Vipers, all MOA, one is 4.5-16 and the other two are 6.5-24. No issue with any of them and one is on my 338 Lapua, one on my 308 and one on a .223. The heavy kickers have no effect on the scopes whatsoever.

I happen to have a couple Leupy's to compare to.

Never had a NF, don't need one. If I did get one, it would be a US Optics or an S&B.

Couple drawbacks... One, the supplied scope cover is JUNK. Get Butler Creek flip caps or Leupy Alumina covers. The other is the side focus turret sticks out pretty far from the scope body. Finally, if you dial the elevation all the way up or down (on the 6.5-24's) you can see a crescent swhadow in the ocular. It's you looking at the bottom or top of the scope tube, the adjustment goes that far....

Not an issue here, mine are on cant rails except the 223.

Just be sure to align and lap the rings (any rings) prior to installing the scope, SOP for me...........

I am thinking about buying a viper PST in moa/moa and ffp in 6-24. I have tried the search and only find old threads... maybe I search wrong:rolleyes: but does anyone have any recent reviews on these? Do you own one? Do you like.it? I know it won't be night force quality but it has nice features. And around half the cost and a night force just isn't in my budget.
It will be going on my sendero 300 rum and will be for hunting to 800 or so yards and targets to 1000 or so.
Thanks
Only competition in that range is the sightron. The vortex is plenty good for the $$$. A nightforce will be more durable and might help you on two kinds of shots. A coyote at 2am on a wheatfield or a prairie dog at 2200 yds. Everything else youll be fine with the PST. In the daylight at less than 2k there isnt a ton of difference that most people can even discern.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm that much closer... just need to save a bit more cash. Hoping to buy before or ar the end of January. I have read a bit on the crescent shapes on low power and so long as it doesn't affect the crosshairs or aiming it won't bother me. It will be replacing my Burris fullfield tac30 6.5-20 x50 that is currently on my rifle. I am really excited for the ffp retical and ability to accurately hold over or windage at any power setting.

Interestingly, I know of 2 people that had issues with the Sightron Big Sky scopes. After a time, they would not hold elevation settings. They were replaced by the company but I thought that was odd to have two that I knew about with the same issue.

FYI, the Vortex PST's are made in the Phillipenes if thats an issue with anyone. All the PST's have Japanese glass. The Razor's have Japanese HD glass and a positive rotationaal stop elevation turret. The PST's don't. They use a crescent shaped shim washer stack under the turret post that will allow you a quarter turn past your set zero. Not bothersome for me, may be for you.....

In today's world of overpriced stuff, Vortex has real value, IMO.

No I don't work for them though I do know someone at Vortex......:cool:

My current scope is the SFP version of the Viper PST. I am totally blown away by how good it is. I have shot with NF scopes, and the glass is better...though not enough for me to want to save the extra $700+ for one, and at half the price (less if you compared FFP to FFP), The Vortex is a real winner of a scope.

I have the FFP MOA 4-16 on my .338 RUM. A buddy has same scope on .338-.378. We were both green to long range hunting last year. He killed and antelope at 800 yards and I got one at 500. Scopes are super clear and turrets worked well as you can see. For the money (half the cost of NF) you can't ask for a better scope. Plus Vortex customer service is top notch if needed.

...Probably why the Leupolds I have won't increase in number again. The only thing I fine slightly bothersome about the Vipers is when cranked up to maximum magnification, the eye box gets a bit touchy.

On a heavy recoiler, that could cause a black eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.