Vortex Viper PST FFP 1/10mil 4-16x review

Niles Coyote

I ordered my PST FFP 4-16x on June 16th and was a bit surprised to hear it would be at my door July 1st from Midway USA. Upon opening the package I found every thing present that should be minus a couple minor scratches to the sunshade, it came in contact with a turret during transport.

After running the turrets through their full range, I returned it to mechanical center and mounted it to a optics deprived 308 Remington Tactical. I leveled the scope to the base rail using the feeler gauge method and inspected the reticle. To my eye it did not appear to be canted.

Range day;
I spent several hours checking reticle spacing and adjustment and I am happy to report that, as best as I can tell, both are on the money. I did not see any reticle cant during movement through 15 mils.

View at 4x
003.jpg

View at 16x
002.jpg

How it looks from the drivers seat, Disregard the dots on the cardboard, but the tape measure dots are 5 mil and correct.
001.jpg

I was able to zero the rifle with no problems and install the zero stop shims with ease. I let the rifle cool for 30 minutes and check the resolution against an optical chart, some printed words of different text size and bullseye's of different size.
004-1.jpg

I will add to this shortly with a Leupold vx3 tactical m3 and Nikon monarch gold that has beaten every Leupold mk4 and vx3 I've put against it. For now I had my 3.5-15x Nightforce with me to make comparisons. Well this is no Nightforce… But it is very good and I will be surprised if it isn't as good as the Leupold's I own. The biggest difference was in the brightness of the PST, it was washing out the black edge detail of my chart/targets as compared to the view through NF and because of that I could resolve the next size smaller lines, numbers and target with NF. But all in all the view through PST looks very good.

The only fault I can find with the PST is the turret resistance. The turrets adjust way too easy for my liking. The clicks are audible and positive by feel; they just need a little more resistance to them.

Pictures of the system set up
006.jpg

005.jpg

Sorry for the crummy pictures. The camera is a older 4meg. I was having a difficult time holding the camera steady and in the right position to see through the scope and lock the auto focus on something for a clear view while holding the rifle.

The view through the scope is much better than pictured...

I took few comparison pictures at 1000 yards today. Plates are 36" 24" and 12" with a life size P-dog target next to the IPSC target.
PST, Nightforce at 3.5-15x50, Leupold vx3 pre mk4 3.5-10x40
Nicely put together by a member from another forum
Vortex2.jpg

Shot today 100 to 800 and the PST tracked fine. Including a first round cold bore hit at 500 using a new load and w/jbm generated drop sheet.

BTT Has anyone else got there PST yet? How about some more feed back? Great pics.The pics on the PST are not as clear as the NF! And very close to the Loup! So is that the way it is,or what? So, is this scope worth the wait?
Bill Maylor..

BTT Has anyone else got there PST yet? How about some more feed back? Great pics.The pics on the PST are not as clear as the NF! And very close to the Loup! So is that the way it is,or what? So, is this scope worth the wait?
Bill Maylor..

To my eye it is a toss up between the Leupold and PST when at the same power. The image on the PST seems a bit brighter but that is most likely do to the extra 10 millimeters of objective lens. Is it worth the wait? I will leave that up to you but I like mine. I ran it back and forth from 200y to 1000y on Monday and everything worked as it should. Yes, the Nightforce is noticeably better but it is also 50% the price for a standard NXS and more yet for the F1 with the same features. So I feel it is a good deal.

Am i the only one getting tired of waiting on the
PST? By now i have the money saved for a NF, so i will probably just be going that route...........

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.