Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD - through the scope

I traded a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 for a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 because I was never happy with the glass on the Sightron. And love them as I have 2 PST's.

Jason

I have had an older sightron, just plain jane duplex reticule. The glass was phenominal for the money I paid, not quite in there with my Mark 4 Leupold, but close.
I also have a Viper PST 2.5-10*44 SFP on a .243win (coyote rifle). Unfortunatley I sold the Sightron before I bought the PST so I cant do a side by side comparison. Going by memory i think the Sightron had better glass, but just. That being said, I still have the PST and love it, and the Sightron is gone. I would buy the PST every time. Ive shot my .243 to 900 yards with that scope and help well under MOA (not everytime, but thats my limitations with 6mm pills).

I love how well thought out the scope is. It is SFP, but you can use the reticule on any setting easily because the selector ring has "positive stops" at 4 magnifacations, and a corrisponding number to muliply your reticule by. So with the scope on 10 each substension is 2 MOA, on 2.5 power the substensions are 8MOA. Not as good as FFP but the next best thing.

Im new, first post or reply here.

I figure this is a good place to as a question about this specific scope. Given most people that have posted here have one.

My question is about travel.

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD mounted on Burris 30mm low rings on a 20 moa weaver base, mounted to a Savage model 10 FCPHS in .308.

I have zeroed at 200 yards, will be shooting a 178gr bthp match bullet from Hornady.

The scope has a reported 19 mrads of vertical and horizontal adjustment and I think for some reason my zero is close to dead center. This is leaving me with a mere 8 mrads of adjustment or exactly 84 clicks before i top out. This gives me out to 800 yards with no holdover.

From everything ive read most people can get 1000yards if they have a 20moa base. Im not getting close.

Do I need a 40moa base or do you think ive messed up in my configuration?

-Matt

Im new, first post or reply here.

I figure this is a good place to as a question about this specific scope. Given most people that have posted here have one.

My question is about travel.

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD mounted on Burris 30mm low rings on a 20 moa weaver base, mounted to a Savage model 10 FCPHS in .308.

I have zeroed at 200 yards, will be shooting a 178gr bthp match bullet from Hornady.

The scope has a reported 19 mrads of vertical and horizontal adjustment and I think for some reason my zero is close to dead center. This is leaving me with a mere 8 mrads of adjustment or exactly 84 clicks before i top out. This gives me out to 800 yards with no holdover.

From everything ive read most people can get 1000yards if they have a 20moa base. Im not getting close.

Do I need a 40moa base or do you think ive messed up in my configuration?

-Matt

Something doesn't seem right. I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA mounted on a 20 moa Picatinny rail and I shoot at 1,000 yds. and can go past that. I shoot a 6MM Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs.

joseph

Something is fishy but in reality a 178 grain projectile much past 600 yards isn't going to have a whole lot of kinetic enerhy anyway.

I relegate my 308 Savage to no more than 500 yards for a clean killing shot.

I'm using 165 SMK's.

lightbulb Just thought of something that might be wrong with your rig. Check your 20 MOA Picatinny rail or Weaver Bases and make sure that the high end ( or thicker end ) is closer to your eye. This makes the scope tilt down and the barrel tilt up. If the rail is on backwards it will tilt the barrel in the wrong direction.

Let us know if I got it figured out. If you turn the rail around ( or swap the Weaver Bases around ) this should correct the problem if it "IS" on backwards.

joseph

The base is mounted correctly. Honestly though other than the package the mount came in, I cant really tell if it IS in-fact a 20 MOA base. There isn't a stamp on the base that says 20 MOA.

500 yard gun hu? I seem to be getting better results.

Hazzmatics,

Give EGW a call and talk to them about getting a 20 MOA Picatinny rail for your Savage. I have used many of their aluminum rails and have never had an issue with one. You can get one for around $30.00. You may need a steel rail (?). I don't know what caliber you shooting. :)

Contact Us: Evolution Gun Works Inc.

joseph

PS: With a Picatinny rail you can add a bubble level to it to level your action. This will help you from canting your rifle when shooting long range. After I get the reticle perfectly vertical I put an off centered bubble on the scope so I can see it when shooting and then remove the bubble off the Picatinny rail. The second picture shows what the offset bubble looks like when shooting and also shows you my Vortex Custom Turret which is dead nuts accurate.

The bottom target was shot at 1,000 yds.

Attachments

• 2 BUBBLE LEVELS .JPG
    2 BUBBLE LEVELS .JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 77
  • custom turret .jpg
    custom turret .jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I have the same Vortex level on my scope and I leveled the recticle using a plumb line. I put a level on the Picatinny rail to level the rifle (even if the stock isn't perfect, the rail will be level), then leveled the reticle in the rings with the plumb line, and finished by leveling the bubble mounted on the scope tube. I have a swiveling bipod with a lock and peripheral vision allows me to see the level while the rifle is shouldered. I level it and then lock the bipod down.

6029D71A-315F-49FF-9B8B-EABA524B9F05-124-000000064203B6EC.jpg

3FA70F07-06CF-4F6C-8F48-5801E5E56123-124-000000063BBAD960.jpg

And recently acquired stock I stripped, sanded, and freshly painted:
1FD08AD7-97B6-4BE5-BBE2-E71CD7513673-4639-000003CA310C7490.jpg

Yours looks ok to me. Here is a picture of my 20 MOA Picatinny rail. It is definitely lower in the front. It is a little hard to see though. :)

joseph

Attachments

• 6-24x50 PST MOA 2.jpg
    6-24x50 PST MOA 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.