Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD - through the scope

jtkratzer

This scope was suggested as a great way to get into a scope suitable for long range work without spending several thousand dollars. I've only had it for a few weeks, if that, but I've been impressed with the glass and how solid the turrets are. Thought this picture might be helpful to anyone considering this scope or trying to compare.

Here's a picture through the scope with an iPhone 4S, just before 7pm EST tonight, at an intersection that's two miles away according to Google Maps.

Notice the motorcyclist facings south on the road running generally the same direction of view. Again, this is a cell phone picture.

photo2_zps2c857137.jpg

Nice work . You have shown the Mil Radian reticule very well and how the fine centre comes up to a very useful size at long range .

Nice work . You have shown the Mil Radian reticule very well and how the fine centre comes up to a very useful size at long range .

That's zoomed all the way in at 24x. I can snap a few at other magnification if anyone needs it.

I can also try to bust out the K-5 for some high res shots.

I also have one and it's great, has a lot of great features but for my Long Range Rifle I use a Sightron SIII. I hate to say it, but it does have better glass than the PST. I would really love the PST if it had the SIII glass.

I also have one and it's great, has a lot of great features but for my Long Range Rifle I use a Sightron SIII. I hate to say it, but it does have better glass than the PST. I would really love the PST if it had the SIII glass.

And Sightron is not an option until they make a FFP scope. You have one already, but keep in mind this is a cell phone picture.

And Sightron is not an option until they make a FFP scope. You have one already, but keep in mind this is a cell phone picture.

I've compared them side by side and as much as I like my PST it can't beat the SIII glass. I kept my PST on my 7mm RM deer gun. It's still an awesome scope and it's not in my short term plans to replace it. Maybe I'll put it in my new 1000- .308 rifle. It seems to be perfect for the task.

It is funny you know but a mate of mine bought a Sightron and I looked at it with interest but my impression was it had poor glass and aberration around the image edge . I know that is only one single scope and it don't mean much but for my money I am saving for a Vortex as the two I have seen seem to suit my eyes better . For me if I ever get one the Vortex has the features I want . zero stop, FFP Mil hash marked reticule , Matching Mil turrets . Positive turret clicks and no fault warranty .

I have had a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope with a Vortex Custom Turret and love it.

This is a 1,000 yd. target that I shot at 24x in competition for the first time. There are 3 five shot groups with the scores and group sizes in the lower right. All 15 shots would have hit in the boiler room of an antelope. It was shot with my 6mm Norma BR. hunting rifle. 50 points is a perfect score for each group.

joseph

Attachments

• 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 178
Excellent stuff Joseph. It is amazing what can be done with a good 6m BR .
I have put a 243 barrel on my latest gun to try and take advatage of good 6mm bullets and less recoil than a big magnum for upto 500 varmint shooting .
I still need that Vortex scope though to seal the deal.
So far I have developed a load with a 3.5 to 10 Leupold with standard duplex reticule but the scope is restricting my range dramaticly .

When my PST Was sitting on my .243 win i could hit targets out to 500m using just the reticle. It works great.

It's funny, there seems to be as many guys saying that the PST glass is better than SIII, as those that say visa versa. They are obviously very, very close. But the PST takes the cake for me, simply because of the features.

It's funny, there seems to be as many guys saying that the PST glass is better than SIII, as those that say visa versa. They are obviously very, very close. But the PST takes the cake for me, simply because of the features.

Yes it makes it real hard to make a choice but I agree the features are very important.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.