Vortex viper hs opinions

pat86004

I'm thinking about ordering one of these as a late Christmas present to myself. In reading some reviews, I've seen some people complaining about the reticle being too fine. Does anyone here have any experience with the 4-16x50mm and whether or not the reticle is acceptable for a hunting rifle?

I have a couple of the PST scopes which have a finer reticle than the HS, and I think they're great. The reticles might be a little fine for jump shooting rabbits but for anything past 100 yards they are great. The HS reticles are about 50% thicker than the PSTs.

You don't state whether you are referring to the HS or the HSLR FFP. On one rifle I have a 4-16 X 50 HSLR FFP mounted and when it's just breaking daylight or you are in the dark timber on a dark grey day the reticle is too thin to use until you get the power up to about 8.

Now the reticle in the straight HS in the 2nd FP should be fine as it does not change with power adjustments but I have never looked through one so can't be certain.

I run the HS LR 4-16 SFP with BDC reticle and if anything it's a little thick for my liking, the FFP with the XLR I find OK as long as I'm not on the lower end, mid range up I like it.

I recently ran the scope you are asking about but in the 44mm Obj, and it was great I used it for everything including shooting out to 900 the only problem I ran into was out to that far I ran out of travel so I just upgraded to the HST as it has more MOA adjustment . I guess I could have put a rail on rifle but I don't like rails on my hunting rigs other than that scope tracked flawlessly, and I could not ask for a better scope for the money that comes with BDC reticle , turrets ,and power for long shots.

Not to Hijack the thread in anyway, but I am wondering if the vortex viper line is a good comparison to the nikon monarchs? I have only just started looking at the vortex brand because I received a pair of vortex diamondback binoculars for Christmas and they appear to be better glass than the monarch on my rifle. From the research I have done Vortex has some advantages such as 30mm tubes and reticles in the correct focal plane.

Not to Hijack the thread in anyway, but I am wondering if the vortex viper line is a good comparison to the nikon monarchs? I have only just started looking at the vortex brand because I received a pair of vortex diamondback binoculars for Christmas and they appear to be better glass than the monarch on my rifle. From the research I have done Vortex has some advantages such as 30mm tubes and reticles in the correct focal plane.

I have both Monarch and a Vortex Viper HS-LR, in my opinion the Vortex has better glass than the Nikon. I like the Vortex so I ordered another.

I have both Monarch and a Vortex Viper HS-LR, in my opinion the Vortex has better glass than the Nikon. I like the Vortex so I ordered another.

I also own both a vortex hslr 4-16x50 as well as a monarch 4-16-44 and honestly I like them both equally. I would not hesitate to buy either one of them again. I also have a regular votrex viper hs in 4-16x50 that I like a lot. I honestly keep buying vortex simply becouse I love the quality at the price point they are offered at and I love the no questions asked lifetime warranty they come with. If nikon offered the same warranty though I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of those either as I am more than happy with their quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.