Vortex Viper HS LR

Devinbajus

Im pretty new to shooting long range. I just bought a vortex viper hs lr last week and finally got my tps rings today. After getting the scope mounted I went out to the range and sighted the rifle in at 100 yards. When I was adjusting my elevation turret back to zero I decided to play around and see how many moa I could adjust. According to the turret when I adjust up as high as I can I can only get 21 moa of adjustment before maxing out. When I adjust down I can get 63 moa before maxing out. So my question is why do I have so much adjustment down but so little up. Will 21 moa of adjustment allow me to dial for a dead hold at 1000 yards when I become good enough to shoot that far.

The rifle is a cheap Stevens 200 in 300 win mag, with a 20 Moa egw base, shooting a 180gr at roughly 28-2900 fps

Thanks

Yes I'm pretty sure it is. This is my first 20moa rail but I'm sure it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 91
Something is screwed up. I have that same scope mounted on a 10 MOA Near rail on a Winchester receiver and I have 49 MOA up with a 200 yard zero. With the 300 WM and a 215gr Berger it takes almost 21.5 MOA to get to a 1000 yards.

The receivers on some rifles are not machined very accurate and the mounting holes are off. How is the windage is it about centered? With everything right you should be able to center the cross hair in the elevation range. Mine being a 4-16 with a total of 75 center is about 37 then I crank it down the 10 in the rail and that should be close to zero within reason. As stated above I have 49 up left so it's close enough.

If you find that the receiver is the problem find a good smith and have him bed the rail to the receiver after he gets things right. That is what I do.

The rail looks like it's correct in the picture.

I never even checked my windage until now. I only have about 5 moa right adjustment. And left I can rotate the turret about 4.5 times. This is also a 4-16x50. I can't remember for sure but I don't think I ever had this problem with the bushnell 3200 3-9 with weaver 2 piece base, but that was when I just hunted 100-300 yards with it so never really paid attention.

Well I took the scope off this morning and swapped the ring around and moved the scope ahead slightly. Might have been barely touching the rail. Remounted everything and sighted it in again. I now have 2 and 3/4 turns of up elevation and 1.5 turns of right windage, and 3 turns of left. So not sure what changed it but it seems to be working right now.

That is about right with a 20 MOA rail. 60 MOA up will get you any where you want to shoot. The difference in the windage is probably because of the screw hole misalignment in the receiver but should work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.