Vortex Viper HS 1/2 adjustments.....too much??

i used talley lightweight lows on mine..

is it the one piece? If so could you tell me why you picked them over dual dove tail or picatinny? I have never herd about them until i read your post. I researched them a litlle and it looks like a good idea. My only question is that whole thing cost about as much as a set of dd rings by themselves. Is the talley onepiece good quality?

I used them to offset the weight of the heavy 30mm scope, However I have used them on other guns with mostly good results, you just dont want to overtighten them...! Yes the ring and base are 1 piece.

i used them to offset the weight of the heavy 30mm scope, however i have used them on other guns with mostly good results, you just dont want to overtighten them...! Yes the ring and base are 1 piece.

sorry i wasnt clearer. I meant is it all 1 piece (both rings and base 1 piece) or 2 piece (only 1 ring per base). I am trying to find one that is totally 1 piece, 2 rings attached to 1 base for a rem 700 la, but i cant find one anywhere. There are alot of 2 pieces i have found but i want a single full length base from what ive heard.

bleehh i think picatinny and weaver style bases are hideous. I think that the dual dovetails just blend in a little better without that big *** screw busting out on the side. But dual dovetails are a bit more perminant. If you plan on removing the rings or changing scopes then you should definately go with the weaver style. Alot of guys here like the 20moa bases but I dont really have the need for it, especially with the burris inserts that give me around 10MOa more adjustment. But basically it all comes down to what you need and what "looks" nice. They will all be fine, but I would definately stay away from the STD bases on that .300

Sometimes it pays to just "lurk" like i've been doing throughout this whole thread until now. Quade has been asking the same questions I've had about the Viper HS LR as I want one too. Now I'm sold as well. :D

As far as your ring height questions go I may be able to help. I just set up a new rifle for my son the other day. Vanguard series 2. It has a #2 contour barrel, just like a 700 SPS. His new scope (though its a 1" tube) has a 44mm objective. We used Leupold two piece bases and medium rings. Fit was perfect, Bottom edge of objective bell is just a tad bit lower than 1/8" above the barrel. If you're looking at the 50mm Viper, though, you'll need the high rings unless you'll be mounting it with a pic rail base, then you might get away with medium tactical style rings.

Hope that helps some. :)

Oh, by the way, if anyone is interested in a new bolt gun, the Vanguard series 2 is by far and away THE best $450 rifle you'll ever buy in this day and age...so far. I'm completely taken back by this thing. MAJOR improvement over the old Vanguards. His is a 270 Win. and after an 18 round barrel break in the **** thing shot 3 consecutive .5 inch groups with factory, Hornady Custom loads with 130 grain SSTs. Amazing. So amazing that dad is getting one in 270 WSM instead of the $1100 Browning he was looking at....SOON. lightbulbOh, and his scope is the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 4-12. Again, I'm VERY impressed. That scope is more clear, edge to edge, and brighter than either my VX3 or Bush 4200 at half the price and its built very well. Seriously worth considering as well. Clarity and brightness are on par with my Conquest...SERIOUSLY. Just a bit on the heavy side.

One other thing. Not to sound like I'm a Weatherby rep., but on the same day my 14 year old bought his Vanguard and scope, my 16 year old son bought a new Xbolt in '06 and topped it with a 3-9 Conquest. Same barrel break in, same SST load in '06 and that S2 vanguard shot circles around it! Could very well prove different with another bullet / load combo in the Xbolt, but I've never had a rifle, personally, that didn't shoot SSTs very well. At any rate , on that day the Xbolt got punked by the "cheap" rifle.

But, ****, that Xbolt is a thing of beauty!! Daddy like that one too!!

And if you're wondering, all dad got out of the trip to Cabela's THAT day was to carry their boxes and bags out to the truck. LOL. Oh, and they bought me a hamburger on the way home for filling out all the ATF forms! LMAO.

I dont know if anyone is following this thread anymore but i decided to go with talley 1 piece rings, it is at my gun smith's getting put on. The scope is sweet though everything that has been praised about it is true. The only thing i am concerned about is the reticle. It is very thin. Which is good, but i am waiting to see if it will get lost in low light or dark backgrounds. Thanks to everyone and their inputs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts