Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44mm for first long range scope? Is it good for dailing?

matt_3479

I think i have settled on purchasing the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44mm. I know i said i was having my hard time getting my hands on them until i found out all this time there was a dealer only 25 mins up the way from me. Now being extremely new to long range hunting and shooting, would this scope be any good for up to 600 yards? It will be put on a Remington 700 243. win for coyotes and targets. Now i will most likely get it with the BDC reticle, but would this scope work for dialing as well. Most scopes need the target turrets, but this one says Tall Turrets, with caps. Does it work pretty much the same way. Just dial in the correct moa, and hold dead on? i dont need target turrets right. Will it hold zero?

NOW i know how stupid these might sound, but im really new to all this. Want a lot of practice and would like to get into long range hunting and shooting. i dont have a lot of money to spend on a real good scope, so i dont want to mess up or regret, or be disappointed in this buy, or expect more then what the scope is.

Last edited:
We have a couple on some rigs for awhile now. So far they have worked just fine. The turrents are nice and repeatability has been good. Eye relief is ok but could be better. Optical quality is good. Warranty is excellent. For the money, $249 from cameraland with free shipping, it doesn't get any better. Vortex will also do custom turrents for $75 and they have a decent ballistic calculator on their web site.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.