Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 vs Viper PST 6.5-24 x 50

stevotary

Any opinions on Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 versus Viper PST 6.5-24 x 50?

I like the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 because it has turret caps on elevation and windage while the Viper PST 6.5-24 x 50 does not. Even though the PST has stops which are nice, I am afraid my windage turret will unattentionally get knocked off zero in a hunting situation. I wish the PST at least had a turret cap on the wind age if not elevation.. I'm tempted to go with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50. Anyone else feel the same?

I have the 4-16X44 and its the clearest glass I have ever used. Of course I have never owned a nightforce or a U.S. optic but as far as leupold, nikon, zeiss, etc I do love my Viper the best!

The tracking is very nice and they are VERY reasonably priced for the value you are getting! I have never owned a scope with more than 16X power.. but with that 16X power I can clearly see my target at 1000 yards. I am sure that 20X power will get you were you want to be!

have you considered the Viper HS LR series? They have FFP model in 6-24x50 and that has the same amount of adjustment range as the PST, retains the CRS zero stop on the uncapped elevation turret but, has a capped windage turret

have you considered the Viper HS LR series? They have FFP model in 6-24x50 and that has the same amount of adjustment range as the PST, retains the CRS zero stop on the uncapped elevation turret but, has a capped windage turret

Yes sir, i looked at it. The HS only has 50 MOA of travel. These two have 65moa of adjustment range. Doesnt the viper 6.5-20 x 50 have the lines to find visual zero?

I have the pst 6x24x50 and I've never had any trouble with the turrets moving off zero. This is my go to rifle for hunting and it gets abused pretty hard during season and have not had any issues with the scope.

look here Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR.

Has capped windage with the new xlr reticle. I have one on order for my new 6.5 creed build i will be able to evaluate as soon as it arives.

That's what I need for a capped windage and elevation stop.. I did just notice the elevation clicks are 1/2moa on your HS though. I think I would rather stick with 1/4moa clicks or at Max 1/3 moa clicks. 1/2 moa clicks seems too much adjustment per click. The 1/2 moa clicks at 1000 yards would be 5 inches per click. I would like to make 2.5" per click adjustments at 1000 yards that the 1/4 mos clicks would give.

I hunt with turrets that don't have caps and have never had a problem with knocking them off zero. I do keep a bikini cover over it during transport just to protect the over all finish.

I like having the option of dialing or using mills for hold over with out having to take caps off.

Just my two cents.

you know the pst has zero stop rite? if something was to get turned you can always dial down tell it stops and you know where its at.

you know the pst has zero stop rite? if something was to get turned you can always dial down tell it stops and you know where its at.

Yes sir, I know the pst has a zero stop on elevation. I was more concerned with the windage getting knocked off zero with no turret cap.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts