Vortex Viper 4x16x44mm HS LR.

204_ruger

I am looking at scopes to go on my new rifle . Its a browning xbolt 280AI hell canyon. It has a 26 inch 1@8 twist barrel. I looked at 4 different scopes in vortex.
Viper 4x16x44mm HS LR
Viper 4x16x50mm HS LR
Viper 4x16x44mm HS
Viper 6.5x20x50 PA.
I have never used a scope like the HS LR before. I am wanting to shoot out to 600 yards. Or would i be better getting one that has the 600 yard deadhold bdc on it? Never used scope without covers over the adjustments.

If you will be carrying the rifle alot... I'd recommend staying away from tall exposed knobs that don't zero lock.
BDC reticles work fine for hunting if you confirm POI at intended ranges.
Dialing turrets is the most accurate but can rub against clothing or other objects while carrying or handling a lot and move your turret off of the zero mark if not capped. Just check them often.
I'd also recommend not going too high on magnification if the intention is for a hunting scope.

Would the viper 4x16x44mm HS scope work. It has caps on both. Could i take the cap off the Elevation and use it like the HS LR model when shooting paper? Would the mil dot be better? I looked at 2 nikon buckmaster 4.5x14x40 mil dot and bdc. Is that the type scope i need for hunting

The Viper 4-16x44 is the highest mag I would go which leaves you 4x at the low range to get a quick sight picture and shot if you jump something up on the trail.
The higher magnification the narrower the field of view, which again is why I like lower mag scopes for hunting...the bigger the picture the quicker the target acquisition for a moving target or when time is short.

As for reticle... Some people like different options. For hunting, the less clutter the better is the consensus for most which means a simple bdc or moa or mil reticle with horizontal and vertical increments at the most. I'd stay away from the christmas tree looking reticles for hunting. Too busy.
You will have to choose and learn whichever graduation scale you'd like to use as either will work for LR hunting or paper punching. MOA or MILRADIAN

I hunt clearcuts and highline right of ways. Hay and bean fields . I dont know if the Elevation turret locks in place. If its easy for a limb to catch it and move it? Scope doesn't have a cap. But the 4x16x44mm HS has caps. But i didnt know if u could use the Elevation turret like on the HS LR scope. But has much as the Viper 4x16x44mm HS LR cost. I could find a good used Leopold scope . Like the Leopold v3 4.5x14x40 cdl scope. Would that be a good scope for type job i need it for?

I PM'd you about a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 for sale in the optics classifieds that was in the same price range and is a better scope.

I looked at it. Its a nice scope. My wife said hold off until this weekend. We would go look at Leopold scopes. The one i am going to look at is the Leopold vx3 HD 4.5x14x40 Side Focus CDS-ZL. Isnt the Meopta scope nice scopes? I will look at the zeiss this weekend.

I looked at 2 nikon buckmaster 4.5x14x40 mil dot and bdc. Is that the type scope i need for hunting
The Nikon scopes are not being supported anymore. Nikon is out of the scope business and if you need warranty work you are SOL.
You may want to check out Sightrons line of scopes.

I thought there was 2 guys still there doing warranty work. They where working at the place. That done camera warranty.

I have the viper hst and am not impressed with it either. Eye box is super tight and fov is pretty much nothing when zoomed in. Check out the Burris 3-15 signature hd. All the specs on it are pretty much exactly the same as the comparable razor lht. Exposed but locking turrets, illumination, nice reticle, light weight for what it is, and a good zoom range.

My wife's 6 to 24x HSLR has a capped windage turret. Elevation is exposed, but does have a zero stop. I like the scope. The reticle is nice. The only drawback for me is that half minute clicks on the elevation turret. I wish it was a quarter minute.

My wife's 6 to 24x HSLR has a capped windage turret. Elevation is exposed, but does have a zero stop. I like the scope. The reticle is nice. The only drawback for me is that half minute clicks on the elevation turret. I wish it was a quarter minute.

Vortex will convert to 1/4 click for free. They did mine and cleaned it inside/out. Reach out to them, request it to be done, they issue a reference and you just ship it to them. Took just a couple weeks back and forth to my door, I suggest overnight express shipping, plain wrap box.

EDIT: Sorry, mine is a 6-24x50 HS LR I like it, zero to complain about, has been a really good scope for me. Changing 1/2 to 1/4 was icing on the cake.

Never had an issue with the turret being turned by anything.

Last edited:

Recent Posts