vortex viper 4-16x50 vx 6-24

BRvalley

Hi there,

new member, first post, been lurking a while and trying to search the posts but not finding what I want. I've been shooting 4 years now, bow hunter prior to that, always learning and still a lot left to learn about long range shooting. I live in BC, Canada

I'm starting to get really into shooting, slowly getting together reloading gear but not reloading yet

I shoot a 243 and 300wsm and very confident to about 300 yds...I'm trying to expand to my confident range to 500 yds on game and shoot paper at 500 to 700

new rifle savage 16fcss in 270wsm, and looking for a new scope, my current scopes are 3-9 and 4-12, regular duplex reticle and no external moa turrets

I was looking at the viper 4-16 and 6-24...the 4-16 seemed to have a subtantially brighter image than the 6-24, but I haven't taken them outside the store yet to compare them

for my 500 yd goal, is the 6-24 over kill?

does the extra magnification reduce the light gathering capacity of the scope?

not yet having much experience, is the 4-16 sufficent at up to 500, or will the extra magnification really help me?

thank you for any tips and info, cheers.

Depends on the game you're hunting. 4-16x is more than enough for big game out to 500 yds. 6-24x might be useful for ground squirrels and prairie dogs. Between the two Vortex scopes, the 4-16x50 probably has the better optical design.

Set to the same magnification all 50 mm scopes will have similar brightness. That's because manufacturer's lens coatings have evolved to the point that most scopes above $200 have nearly the same transmission (within about a 5% spread). In low light, both scopes will start to loose brightness above about 7-8x magnification, depending on the shooter's age.

I have them both. I'd say go with the 4-16 because the eye box is more forgiving at 16 than the 6-24 is at 24. Contrary to Bruce's assertion, the mechanics of both optics are the same. Finally, light gathering capability is directly impacted by the diameter of the objective and the tube diameter.

In low light, both scopes will start to loose brightness above about 7-8x magnification, depending on the shooter's age.

very interesting, I'm 29 and my hair started thinning this year, better snack on more carrots

thank you both for your input...I am leaning towards the 4-16 but will check them both out again next time

very interesting, I'm 29 and my hair started thinning this year, better snack on more carrots...

You're still young enough that your pupils dilate to at least 7 mm in low light. I'm 56 and mine stop at about 6 mm. People in their 60s limit out closer to 5 mm.

As long as the exit pupil of the scope is at least as large as your eye pupil, the image will appear as bright as with the naked eye. If the exit pupil is smaller, the image will appear to loose brightness. It's just the physics of optics.

As you increase the magnification the scope exit pupil decreases. For a 50 mm scope the exit pupil drops below 7 mm at just over 7x magnification. To have the brightest image in low light, you want to set the scope magnification no higher than 7x. Either a 4-16x or 6-20x can give about the same brightness when set to 7x or less.

Obviously, this assumes your eye is centered in the exit pupil, which can be difficult to do in very low light. The 4-16x model may have an advantage here because of the larger exit pupils available below 6x, which make eye alignment easier.

I was facing this dilemma also, whether to go with 4x16 or 6x24 in the PST. I kept looking at the 2 side by side and I seemed to favor the 4x16. I think that's the way i'm going, especially after reading the advice in this article. I would be doing the same thing as BRvalley basically.

thanks for the help!

Bruce

The 4-16 will be more than enough to get you to 500 yards. You could also consider the fact that you are gaining 8x on the high end and only losing 2x on the low end, which is not a bad trade off. As far as clarity goes with a 4-16x and a 6-24x on 16x I would think the 6-24x will have the upper hand. You are basically on the optical performance for the 16x on its highest power, yet the 24x is right in its bread and butter, so to speak. This is also something I would keep in mind.

Vortex company is great. I live relatively close and stopped into there shop. I had the 4-16 XLR just not enought for 600 yard F-class, would have loved to trade it for a 6-24. Paper punching yes more mag is better however here is something to think about . The 4-16 is more compact+
But they needed to use a higher index of glass to keep it shorter. Higher the index of optical lenses the lower the Abbe value, others coatings ect being equal.
They are Great people, I would have bought my last scope form them but wanted a variable with 32-50 max power range.

I have both of them and love them. Here is what I did:

4-16 is used on my 7WSM for my LRH out to 500-600 (which is LRH for me, and being on the east coast its hard to find spots just to reach those distances). While paper punching I would like more and was thinking of changing, but then last year I shot a deer at 450 and at 16 it was more than enough so I'm just leaving it.

6-24 is used on my 6x47 Lapua. This is a designated varmint only rig and so I wanted the higher magnification in order to see prairie dogs at extended distances. I built the rifle and then wound up deploying again so I've yet to do anything but take it to a range twice.

That's just what I did and I'm happy with my choices. If I ever decide to extend my range to over 600 I may change, but for my limitations right now I'm happy :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts