Vortex Razor vs Swaros Spotters

LocalJW

Hey Yall,

I am looking into a new spotting scope scope. I can't decide whether to go with the Razor 85mm or the Swaros. For how much the razor costs ($1900) compared to the swaro STX models your saving some good money. I already have swaro 15x binos and i've heard those glass are way better then the Razor HD spotters. It will be used for elk, mule, and target shooting. Does anyone have opinions on whether razors are good or not. Pictures through them would be helpful.

Im starting to feel like a broken record and I know I'm in the minority but I really like my Gen I Razor. I prefer the dual focus mechanism vs the barrel focus on swaro and Gen II Razor. I've compared to a few others including Leupold GR 12-40, Kowa 77 and Kowa 55. I haven't compared to swaro directly. I've written some on Rokslide of objective criteria and how I feel the razor compares. Things like edge to edge clarity in my sample at least are near perfect. I don't normally notice CA much so it doesn't stand out to me either. I've spent a hours behind it and don't get any eye fatigue or some other issues people have with cheaper glass. I'm a fan. And it cost $600. For another $600 you can throw the swaro 25-50WA eyepiece on the Gen I (doesn't fit Gen II!!!)and it is even a better picture. $1200 invested and I have no regret.

I am sure the swaro is better. I am not saying it isn't. The kowas are really good too. For me the vortex is an amazing value and I don't think I'm missing anything.

Razors are good but they are no swaros. It depends on what level you want to see. I've used both side by side and this is the best way I describe the difference. At ~2 miles we were glassing a nice bull. With the razors you could tell he was a big bull looked like a 6x6. With a swaros you could tell he was actually a 7x 7 with the extra clarity. On another occasion we were glassing a Bighorn sheep at ~3 miles. You could tell swaros we're slightly clearer but it wasn't as big of difference since we were experiencing heat waves in both.

So it all depends on how much definition you want to see. I think Razors will work most the time for most people

I really dislike the Swaro focus and wasn't impressed enough with the difference between it and a Kowa Prominar or Vortex Razor to make me want to look past that one gripe. I would go Kowa > Razor > Swaro but that's nothing to do with optical quality by itself. They're all about on par. The best I've used have been Hensoldt. Light, compact and otherworldly good glass plus a reticle. And you pay for all the goodies with Hensoldt.

I have NEVER heard or read about anyone that has actually done a side by side comparison of a Vortex Razor spotter and a Swaro spotter claim they were 'about on par'. I used to own a Gen 1 Razor 65 mm spotter and my buddy had the sts Swaro HD 65mm spotter. During our hunt in WY, I spent a lot of time behind both in varying light condition, atmospheric conditions, and distances. During bright light with good atmospheric conditions, the Swaro was a little better (resolution and color definition). In lower light and less than ideal atmospheric conditions, the Swaro was significantly better in every aspect. I sold my Razor and bought a Swaro when I got home from the hunt. The Gen 1 Razor was / is a good spotter for the $$, but it is NOT 'on par, or close to on par' with the Swaro.

I have NEVER heard or read about anyone that has actually done a side by side comparison of a Vortex Razor spotter and a Swaro spotter claim they were 'about on par'. I used to own a Gen 1 Razor 65 mm spotter and my buddy had the sts Swaro HD 65mm spotter. During our hunt in WY, I spent a lot of time behind both in varying light condition, atmospheric conditions, and distances. During bright light with good atmospheric conditions, the Swaro was a little better (resolution and color definition). In lower light and less than ideal atmospheric conditions, the Swaro was significantly better in every aspect. I sold my Razor and bought a Swaro when I got home from the hunt. The Gen 1 Razor was / is a good spotter for the $$, but it is NOT 'on par, or close to on par' with the Swaro.
What he said. But a razor can see stuff ok. On a different note..just for general info, Kowa 883 and swaro ATX 85 side by side looking at Rams in the shadows..they were both incredible glass. Kowa slightly brighter, ATX had a slightly, I dunno, warmer look. Both super sharp.

Find a used swaro sts with 25-50 eyepiece in my opinion. The modular x line for swaro are quite a bit heavier. Unless your sold on being able to switch out objective sizes. I have an ats 80HD and my buddy has a razor gen I 85mm. Also he had the issue with his eyepiece locking up when cold. Vortex sent him a new one right away, but the rubber on the new one has started to come off. Mid day no mirage the swaro only seems slightly better, once the sun starts setting or looking into shadows it's no comparison. I've never looked through a gen II razor.

I tried using a buddy's Razor on a window mount. It sucked so bad I setup my Swaro on the tripod. Maybe it was a ****** Razor. After that one look I'll never waste my time trying to look through one again.

I have looked through the razor and it was decent. I have looked through the Swarovski and it was fantastic. I personally own the meoptra s2. I find it to be pretty darned good. I have never had the chance to look through them all set up on the same day to compare them sxs. And I really do believe that to totally compare spotting scopes fairly you would have to be able to do it under the same conditions. If money wasn't a concern I would have a Swarovski or the 883 kowa. If money is somewhat an issue, and I know you didn't ask about meoptra, I would would try and look at one and decide for your self. Good luck

I compared a Gen 1 Razor 85mm spotter to a Swaro ATS 65hd a few years ago when buying a spotter, and I thought they were pretty comparable. When I compared similar sized objectives though, the Swaro was significantly brighter and sharper. If I weren't worried about the size/weight I'd feel pretty good about the Razor. I'd rather have the same performance in a smaller package though, so I got the Swaro. I'm not sure about the newer Gen 2 Razors though. They may be much closer to the Swaros.

I used the vortex razor hd 27-60x85 $1599) and the Leupold santiam 20-55x85 ($1799) and the swarovski ats 20-60x65 ($2298) side by side this afternoon. Swarovski was head and tail superior (brighter, sharper image, easier to pick up target) and second place was a toss up. I'm using it to see rifle holes at 1000 yards, so clarity is utmost importance for me. IMHO

Buy a used or refurbished gen 1 razor 85, they can be had for as low as $500-$700. Not worth the additional $1200 to buy a new razor 85.

After that, I'd go Kowa 88 for around $2600.