Vortex Razor HD LH 4-15×42???

KRL1116

Anyone have any first hand experience/review of the Vortex Razor HD LH 4-15×42? Glass quality? Tarcking? Low light ability? Etc.???? Looking for a good scope with a 1 inch tube. Thanks all!

Ive got one, and I love it. I am actually getting ready to purchase my second one. The real test was when i took it hunting last deer season. All of the attributes that I was looking for proved to be top notch. I was able to see very clearly much later than with any other scope I have owned anywhere near this price point. The tracking is spot on. I used it in our long range league on my 308 hunting rig, and I simply removed the caps and spun the turrets by hand like tactical turrets and it tracked perfectly. I think these scopes are great.

I have one and I am very happy with it. The glass isn't swarm good, but it is plenty good enough for me. The tracking has been spot on and it has held up for 2 years and multiple hunts for me now. I have it on a lightweight 30-06 in a DNZ one piece mount. Overall, I am very happy with it

I have a 3-15x42 with the HSR reticle, which I like. Fine aiming point, usable hashmarks, and thick outer stadia that make centering the reticle easy, even in near darkness.

It tracks just fine as long as I can see the turrets. I actually like how quiet the detents are, but if you like 'tactile' 'audible' clicks you will be disappointed.

Optically the resolution is great, it's easy to get behind. In favorable conditions, it's resolving power blows a lot of other scopes away. The eyebox is big, but CA can be harsh if I'm not centered in the ocular.

This can be tedious on bright days - honestly I'd prefer a smaller eyebox, I'd rather have the eyebox itself tell me I'm not centered rather than have bad CA tell me the same thing...

Low light is not a strength either. Not bad, but certainly not as contrasty as some. Not a lot of colour shaping going on, so comparatively images through the razor LH seem a bit cold, or clinical perhaps. When it comes to judging subtle differences in contrast, it's easy to see the value of some higher tech coatings.

To summarize, my razor LH is great on sunny days, but it doesn't handle overcast or low light conditions with elegance.

Mechanically it's good. Mine is missing a fair amount of paint, so I'd say it's pretty robust too.

The magnification ring is a bit larger in diameter than some others. I couldn't mount the scope all the way forward on my tikka because the mag ring wouldn't clear the base of my talley one piece (low) mounts. Scalloped the base, problem solved.

This is important because the Razor LH has about 1/4-1/2" more eye relief than other comparable scopes - something to be aware of anyway. The combo of fat mag ring, longish eyepiece and longish eye relief could cause mounting problems for some.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.