vortex razor HD gen 1 vs gen 2

climb-101

i was wonder if any body here has used both the gem 1 and gen 2 razor hd's. I was thinkinging about switching from the gen 1 mil scope to a 2 gen MOA. I'm just wondering if the 2 gen is worth the up grade. thanks for the help

I own a gen 1 and have fondled a gen 2. The gen 2 has a few more features but the downside is it's heavy.

- locking turrets - you pull them out to change.
- elevation turret turn indicator
- recessed illumination control
- 6x magnification range
- new reticle
- more standard 34mm tube

take a look at the product video:
Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II FFP Riflescope

locking turrets would be nice to have. I think I may switch, I like MOA a lot more than the mrad. plus the all the guns will be the same using MOA

We've got alot of time in with both and the gen 1 is a dang nice scope...but the gen 2 is an awesome scope. The glass is superb and tracking has proved to be spot on based on a dozen or so scopes we've tested. The locking turrets are really nice when it comes to not having to worry about accidentally rotating a turret . If you have any specific questions ask away. The only complaint I've heard is the weight. But let's be honest here if your building a sheep gun you probably should be looking at other sized optics to begin with.

Jordan@406

i have a gen 2 4.5-27 mrad 1c . it is hands down an upgrade over the gen 1 and the gen 1 is a great scope. the gen 2 is pretty heavy but im not going to complain about 10 ounces on a 15 lb rifle . the scope is very rugged and the locking turrets are a great design. id say the glass is about 85% of a S&B pm2

the gen 2 also has a true zero stop , not just bottoming out the erector tube

Last edited:
I've also been looking at the differences in these two scopes. I've seen the gen 1 on clearance for just under $1600, is the extra $1000 justifiable? (Subjective I know.) never having owned either, what would you guys go with?

The gen 1 is a fine scope. It's definitely worth the money. The gen 2 is up there with some of the best. So it's up to you how much money you want to spend. The gen 2 ranks with s&b pm2 . The glass is about 80% of the s&b

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.