Vortex PST series

superdave24

I think I am ready to "pull the trigger" and purchase my first real scope but need some last minute advice. I am trying to decide between FFP or second FP.
And, the PST 4-16x50 or 6-24X50 scope.

I will mainly be target shooting (Bench & Prone) but from time to time be doing some hunting. Any thoughts please? lightbulb

I have both in FFP. The 4-16x50 is the more versatile and brighter scope with better eye relief. I have so far not yet had a situation where the 6-24 was an advantage, but have not done any shooting beyond 450 yards either.

If you are not shooting at moving targets, you might like the SFP better, but for my coyote hunting the FFP is definitely the better choice.

Mine are all MOA on the reticle and turrets.

You would save a chunk of money going with SFP. Also, you could save some money by going with the HS-T version....which eliminates the illuminated reticle. Just a couple of thoughts for you....as the HS-T has the same optics and zero stop capability as the PST. Also, what magnification level is a personal choice. I like having the extra top end...if nothing else...for spotting. But I do use mag. levels above 16X when long range varmint hunting....small varmints...so I picked the 6-24X. It gives up little on the bottom end but the extra 8x on the top end is helpful to me, YMMV.

Below are examples of potential savings....with scopes that have the same magnifications and lens sizing along with Milrad ( apples to apples comparison):

Here's an open box unit...HS-T 6-24X, SFP with Milrad reticle and turrets for $500:
Vortex - Camera Land NY

And here's an open box PST 6-24X, SFP with Milrad set up for $629:
Vortex - Camera Land NY

I scored an open box PST 6-24x FFP, Milrad a few months back and it was $700....just so you can get a sense of pricing. I've enjoyed several open box units from CameraLand over the past several years....you can save a chunk of change on units that look untouched. Excellent people to purchase optics from.

Good Luck,

Wayne

I have several of the PST 6-24 FFP MRAD with ebr-2c for long range target shooting.

i like them a lot, value for $ is hard to beat.

I just found a screaming deal on a new PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR2C MRAD. It should be here this week to mount on my new rifle. I found it hard to compare the specs on this to anything else in the same price range. Hell, for $840 shipped there was nothing even close to comparable in the same budget range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.