Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

scsims

I been following a thread on another forum about Vortex PST scopes not lasting on rifles with heavy recoil that are braked.

I personally have one a .338 Edge that is braked, so far I have 150 rounds on it and it's still kicking.

Have any of you fellas had a PST take a dump on a larger magnum rifle that is braked?

I have two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW that are not braked and have put well over 200 rounds and still performing great.

I understand your concern but I would not worry about it. If it does become a problem in the future with Vortex's unconditional lifetime warranty and their excellent customer service I'm sure they would replace it.

I mounted a Vortex Crossfire 2 6-16 on my 338 Laupa with a brake to see when it broke. I usually run a Razor on that rifle, but I figured with Vortex's warranty it would interesting to see WHEN it broke. I dont know when It would have broke, but after 150 rds It passed a box test, and I gave up. The PST line is a huge upgrade to the Crossfire2, so I cant imagine these incidents are anything to worry about.

A non issue IMO. Typical 'sour grapes' from a whiner poster.

99% of all manufacturers/importers will replace a defective optic, thats the industry standard so it's a non-issue.

Rings, not really... It's Newton's law of motion. "A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless it meets an immovable object".

The mechanism inside any optic has mass and that mass is movable, sitting on the erector mechanism. When the mass is moving during an abrupt recoil and it's not in secure suspension (by that mechanism), it ultimately fails.

It has noting to do with rings, mounts or any exterior physical restraint. It has to do with the quality and integrity of the erector mechanism and to a lesser extent, how the lenses are affixed to the tube itself.

Thats why air gun scopes have a different erector mechanism and are stamped as such. Air guns experience recoil as well but the recoil is opposite of a cartridge or muzzleloading firearm.

Cheap scope, cheap erector mechanism, pending failure from recoil.

Don't tighten them past 15in/lbs and you shouldn't have any issues. If you torque the **** out of your rings you have a potential of crushing the tube, which can lead to the types of failures they were talking about.

I just ordered a PST 6-24x50ffp with the mrad to top my savage 110 hs precision 338 lapua. My buddy is putting it all together for me, i just cant wait to get back from Afghanistan so i can get behind her!!!!

If something where to happen to your pst which isnt likely then vortex will fix it or replace it no questions asked.

Don't tighten them past 15in/lbs and you shouldn't have any issues. If you torque the **** out of your rings you have a potential of crushing the tube, which can lead to the types of failures they were talking about.

Considering most instructions I've ever cared to read have indicated 20 in/lbs, I'd say that I woudn't be too worried about crushing any tubes until you are well past 15 in/lbs.

But scope ring toque values are not on topic what-so-ever.

My dad's lightweight 7mm Rem Mag has had the Viper HS 4-16x44 (similar internals to the PST) on it for a full year now that has seen 100+ rounds without a hiccup. The turrets track well and the zero doesn't wander.

At the shop where I work we sell a whack of Vortex and the only ones I've ever seen come back in (occasionally) where the Crossfires and Diamondbacks. Never seen a Viper come back yet. I'm sure it will happen one day but it's been at least 3 years so far without a hitch.

My next scope will probably be a PST 6-24 FFP of some variety.

Last edited:
Ring marks are caiused by the halves not being concentric to each other, cured by lapping. Ah yes, reading instructions concerning prevailing torque values...not something most Americans to an yway.

Having a 100 percent no questions asked warranty / guarantee is a wonderful thing right up until the point when your scope fails. And of course Murphy says its going to fail at the most in opportune time. If I feel a scope may possibly fail fail I will be looking for a different brand such as a Leupold or a Nightforce.

Alan

If I feel a scope may possibly fail fail I will be looking for a different brand such as a Leupold or a Nightforce.

Alan[/QUOTE]

They wouldnt have the warranty they have if their scopes failed. The difference is once your scopes that cost almost double fail then you have to spend more money to get them fixed or replace them.

Having a 100 percent no questions asked warranty / guarantee is a wonderful thing right up until the point when your scope fails. And of course Murphy says its going to fail at the most in opportune time. If I feel a scope may possibly fail I will be looking for a different brand such as a Leupold or a Nightforce.
Alan

Agreed. And scopes don't always fail instantly and obviously. They are just as likely to cause of lot of headache, heartache, wasted ammo, or missed animals on their way from not broken to in the process of breaking/coming apart inside. Been there done that with more than one. Not Vortex. Never owned a Vortex. Having a good warranty is better than no warranty, but I've still sold scopes immediately after warranty repair/replacement, rather than suffer through the possibility of having to go through the pains of scope failure a second time around. People that haven't had scopes fail on them are the ones most impressed with a scope replacement warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.