Vortex PST HELP??

7sand8s

Since the Vortex Viper PST 4.5-16x50 are on backorder. I told the guy to see if he could get his hands on a 6-24x50 is that toooo much Magnification?? It weighs one more once and is also 2" longer. It will not be used for anything other than shooting deer out to 350-400 late in the evenings and early mornings.

In my opinion (which is worth about what you paid for it, LOL)...6x isn't low enough, at least not for my uses...which are similar to yours (deer from 10 feet out to 600 yards).

I had a 6-18x Leupold...didn't like it...I now have a 4-16x Vortex Viper HS...I like it much better.

But i have never used less than 6 power during hunting. I could understand 10ft but I don't hunt that close to deer. If a deer gets within 10ft of my tower stand I wasn't going to shoot him in the first place.

I see you're in NC...I'm in TN.

I just figured "close" was always a possibility...but you know more about what you need it for than I do.

Based on what little I know...I'd pick the 2.5-10x44mm over the 6-24x.

MY tower stand is right smack in the middle of a 120acre bean field. I could understand if it were on the edge of the woodline, but Im out in the middle.

I do have a cedar thicket behind mine, out front is 429 acres of river bottom...they do sometimes come from behind me, I rarely look that way unless I hear them cross the fence...can't see 10 feet in there anyway, LOL.

You sorta sound like your mind is made up...so, if you're sure you'll never need it for anything closer than 100 yards...I say go for it.

Disclaimer: The "100 yards" part is purely a personal preference and varies from person to person...I just like a little more field of view.

Go with 4-16x50 I have had scopes that are 6.5-20 and had problems finding animal in scope. I missed the opportunity at a 160" whitetail caused I couldn't find it in my scope at 6.5 power now all my hunting rigs have 3-15x50.

I have the 6x24 pst on my gun, and I really like having the extra power. I hunt Central WA up high, so I typically am spending the majority of my time glassing from one spot, then moving slow through the timber during the afternoons. When Im walking the timber, I have my power down all the way. I have my eye relief positioned for a standing shot, just so if I have to take a quick ****, I will be right one the money. I have taken two deer since I have that scope, one on full power at 120 and one at 6x at 70ish. The one at 70 was a quick shot. Maybe it was luck, but I found the animal quick and had a full picture. Probably because I spent so much time getting the eye relief perfect.

If it were me, I would say go with the higher power, especially if you are hunting from a set spot and not doing a lot of creeping. I think your FOV will be just fine when on high power. I am a much more confident shot the closer and more precise I can see a target.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.