Vortex PST Gen2 5-25 vs Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27

skerk

I'm sure this debate has come around a time or two but looking for feedback comparing the PST gen2 vs Ares BTR gen 2 (and ETR really).

I have a Vortex HST 6-24x50 on my 300wm, I'm an average hunter and shooter. For my eyes it's serves it purpose and puts the bullet where it should if i do my part. Looking to pair another scope with a new 300wm that will be used for hunting primarily and shooting at local range out to 600. I'd like to stay within 600 yards for shots while hunting as well.

Is the Viper PST gen2 & Ares BTR gen2 very comparable? Are they pretty close to equal where price is the main factor? Is the Ares ETR that much of an upgrade or for a standard hunter is a BTR going to be great either way? I've saw a couple BTR gen 1's for sale used but think i'd like to wait for a gen 2 upgrades.

Thanks for the input!

Anymore, You couldn't give me a Vortex scope besides the Razor HD series. Vortex has cheapened their build quality it seems from what they were putting out the first few years of being in business.
Far too many reports of scope failures on all of their other product lines.

Athlon, so far has produced some really good scopes. I have a Cronus, Ares BTR, and a Midas BTR that have worked great for me. These are all 1st Gen scopes, and while there are things that I could complain about like the turret feel, etc., the scopes have decent optics, and track pretty good. I do like Athlon's reticle choices.

I still think the Sightron SIII scopes are better than the Viper PST, and both the Ares BTR & Midas BTR in scope quality, glass quality, and tracking. Sightron just needs to offer more bells & whistles with a lot of their scopes. They seem to lag behind other brands for years before offering things that come on other brands like zero stops, new reticle choices, etc..

Anymore, You couldn't give me a Vortex scope besides the Razor HD series. Vortex has cheapened their build quality it seems from what they were putting out the first few years of being in business.
Far too many reports of scope failures on all of their other product lines.

Athlon, so far has produced some really good scopes. I have a Cronus, Ares BTR, and a Midas BTR that have worked great for me. These are all 1st Gen scopes, and while there are things that I could complain about like the turret feel, etc., the scopes have decent optics, and track pretty good. I do like Athlon's reticle choices.

I still think the Sightron SIII scopes are better than the Viper PST, and both the Ares BTR & Midas BTR in scope quality, glass quality, and tracking. Sightron just needs to offer more bells & whistles with a lot of their scopes. They seem to lag behind other brands for years before offering things that come on other brands like zero stops, new reticle choices, etc..
Thanks for the input. I recently won a Ares 15-45 spotter and was impressed on the picture over my current diamonback 20-60 so have been considering and Ares BTR or ETR, just have a few PST's right now and wanted honest comparison.

I don't personally own a PST gen 2, but have played with them a few times. I do own an Ares BTR Gen 2 and in my opinion the Ares wins. As far as glass quality its honestly probably a toss up. Features wise I think is where the Ares wins out. The zero stop on the Ares is MUCH more user friendly and I also prefer the turrets on the Ares. From my experience the Ares tracking is right on the money, and I have heard, but not personally experienced, multiple accounts of tracking issues with the PST's. If warranty is of concern to you I don't think you can really go wrong either way. Athlon's warranty is just as good as Vortex.

My choice would definitely be the Athlon. A friend and I compared his Athlon with my Vortex PST gen 2. His Athlon had a much brighter image. That coupled with a bad experience with a Vortex scope and their unwillingness to fix it, was what drove me to purchase two Athlons. So far I am very pleased with them. Never going to buy another sub Razor Vortex product again.

Last edited:
I've got a few PST Gen IIs and have been happy with their performance up to this point. I haven't looked through an Athlon yet, but have been tempted to purchase before due to some awesome sales.

I've got a few PST Gen IIs and have been happy with their performance up to this point. I haven't looked through an Athlon yet, but have been tempted to purchase before due to some awesome sales.
I'll definitely keep on watch for a sale. I have a couple PST's too so I guess the best answer is find out for yourself! Ha

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I've got a new in the box Ares gen 2 4.5-27 in MOA I'm looking to sell. It's been out of the box to look at but never mounted. I'm just going back to a SFP scope on the rifle I was planning on using it for.

Admittedly I'm bias because I'm trying to sell a Gen I ares to get their new aplr4 reticle in the same model,

but I had both scopes in question and I sold my vortex and kept the Athlon. I thought personally they were really close but I especially like the 4 oz saved because it is on a hunting gun. I like the turrets a bit better and think the glass and eye box beat it out a tad on max setting. Lastly, although it would be tough to notice in most situations the 6x erector vs the 5x is a plus too.

just my 2 bias cents.

Admittedly I'm bias because I'm trying to sell a Gen I ares to get their new aplr4 reticle in the same model,

but I had both scopes in question and I sold my vortex and kept the Athlon. I thought personally they were really close but I especially like the 4 oz saved because it is on a hunting gun. I like the turrets a bit better and think the glass and eye box beat it out a tad on max setting. Lastly, although it would be tough to notice in most situations the 6x erector vs the 5x is a plus too.

just my 2 bias cents.
now my next question would be is going up to the ETR worth it... scopes are like fishing electronics, every year is new & improved!

now my next question would be is going up to the ETR worth it... scopes are like fishing electronics, every year is new & improved!
My unbiased 2 cents on that. I don't like the larger objective and 1/2lb weight increase for a hunting scope. I'm guessing for a target gun it may be worth it.

I really think the BTR in 30mm has a nice spot in glass, zoom, weight, and price especially for a LR hunting rig.

My unbiased 2 cents on that. I don't like the larger objective and 1/2lb weight increase for a hunting scope. I'm guessing for a target gun it may be worth it.

I really think the BTR in 30mm has a nice spot in glass, zoom, weight, and price especially for a LR hunting rig.
Some good input right there. This will be going on a lefty savage 110 timberline 300wm. They show 8.5 lbs. Scope, rings and 13oz can on then end adds up!

I own 1 Gen 1 PST and 2 of the Gen 2's and the Gen 2's leave me pretty happy. Having said that, I only don't own an athlon because I can't get my hands on one locally and I don't want to buy a scope sight unseen and be stuck with something I don't like.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts