Vortex PST dead...

rinodods

So out shooting some new loads in 300wm today on a rifle I've shot a few times and had zeroed last trip. First shot with same load as last time out goes 4" high but center. Every other shot after that goes 6" left and 2" low. At first I thought the magnetospeed bayo was really playing with me but during one string I reached up and made a 2 mil adjustment. Groups didn't move. Still 6" left and 2" low. Get done with load data and work on zero. It's all over the place. You could turn windage to the stops left or right and you'd see maybe a 2-3" movement on target then after a couple shots it would be off the paper. No issues with mounting. Nothing has come loose. If it did settle it would group but if you tried to adjust the scope it was any bodies guess exactly what was gonna happen. I got data off my loads which was good but the scope issue has me bummed out. Nothing new done the rifle and it hadn't been touched since the last range trip where it held sub moa and had no issues getting zero. Anyway, I was wondering if it might be worth sending this thing back to get checked out and see if it needs replacement maybe seeing if I could upgrade to a PST Gen II. Anybody have time behind one?

Last edited:
Send it back. Vortexs' sales motto is their better than the rest blah blah warrantee.. They will fix or replace like most any other company. I hear they have quick turn around.

When I took my rifle out of the safe after elk season last year to clean it I saw a big fog spot behind the objective lens on my Viper PST 6-24x50. Needless to say pulling my scope wasn't something I wanted to do but their turn time to fix it was less than a week. so figure 2.5-3 weeks with shipping unless you choose to expedite. And their warranty states on the service form that trading up is not an option. But they will fix or replace whichever is needed and it happens pretty quick.

When I took my rifle out of the safe after elk season last year to clean it I saw a big fog spot behind the objective lens on my Viper PST 6-24x50. Needless to say pulling my scope wasn't something I wanted to do but their turn time to fix it was less than a week. so figure 2.5-3 weeks with shipping unless you choose to expedite. And their warranty states on the service form that trading up is not an option. But they will fix or replace whichever is needed and it happens pretty quick.

I heard they were quick. I pulled an HST off another rifle for now since I'm gonna be attempting an elk hunt in a few weeks. No time to really send for RMA, wait and get everything with the rifle finished out. Had zero issues with the HST on the same rifle with the same mounts. I know they'll take care of it which is nice. Just bad timing although it was better for it to kindly show its issues now rather than once I'm at camp.

A friend of mine just bought a new Gen II the other day. Mounted it up and was ready to zero when he noticed debris on the reticle. It's small and annoying but it kept drawing my eye to it so I told him to call them. He told them we have an elk hunt in 5 weeks and they said to put a note in the box with a date he needed it back by. They said turn around was 5-7 days, add in shipping and it'll be over two weeks. By the way, they sent him a shipping label so it'll cost him nothing further. My advice is to call them and see what can be done.

So out shooting some new loads in 300wm today on a rifle I've shot a few times and had zeroed last trip. First shot with same load as last time out goes 4" high but center. Every other shot after that goes 6" left and 2" low. At first I thought the magnetospeed bayo was really playing with me but during one string I reached up and made a 2 mil adjustment. Groups didn't move. Still 6" left and 2" low. Get done with load data and work on zero. It's all over the place. You could turn windage to the stops left or right and you'd see maybe a 2-3" movement on target then after a couple shots it would be off the paper. No issues with mounting. Nothing has come loose. If it did settle it would group but if you tried to adjust the scope it was any bodies guess exactly what was gonna happen. I got data off my loads which was good but the scope issue has me bummed out. Nothing new done the rifle and it hadn't been touched since the last range trip where it held sub moa and had no issues getting zero. Anyway, I was wondering if it might be worth sending this thing back to get checked out and see if it needs replacement maybe seeing if I could upgrade to a PST Gen II. Anybody have time behind one?

I did a Youtube review on one. Nice scopes if you can get one that works. If you care to see it search Huntinthewest.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.