Vortex PST 6-24x50 ffp vs. NF SHV 4-14x56 sfp non-illum

I've spent far too many hours already figuring out which optic that has a good feature set at a great price so I am hoping for some advice. I have narrowed it down to the following 2 which are both available in the $950 price range. I see 4 major difference and I am having trouble deciding which would be best for my application.

6-24 vs. 4-14
FFP vs. SFP
Illuminated vs. Non-illuminated
65e/65w vs. 100e/70w Adjustment Range

This optic will be mounted on a brand new 700 Sendero SF II 300 Win Mag. (Darn thing was really hard to find) Intentions are to shoot out to 600yds regularly as these are readily available at my local ranges. There will also be the occasional shooting sessions out to 1000. Majority will be range time currently but as the new job settles in I will be taking as many hunting trips for Elk and Bear in the Pacific NW where I live as time allows.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

The simple answer is pic one and go with it.

Either one will do the job.

The problem with being in the Seattle area is that there is way more "think'n" time than there is "doing" time. A visit there longer than 4 days has me chomp'n at the bit.:)

I have a 14x FFP on a couple of LR rigs. Plenty sufficient.
I traded a 22x for a 20x to reduce weight. Both are more than sufficient for ELR shooting.
As far as illuminated reticles go, I remove the batteries from all of them. If not adjusted exactly right for each lighting condition they get too "fuzzy" for my liking. And when the sun goes down it light conditions constantly change. Thus it's another action needed when time between spotting and shooting is usually critical. Plus if, at low power illumination is necessary to see the reticle it's flat too dark to shoot has been my experience.

Really it both scopes are of equal quality you'll be satisfied with either one......for a while.:D

Just my tho'ts....

Oh, and welcome aboard and have fun......

i have taken the battery out of my scopes as well, i figure im shooting in the day and dont need the light up recital. i think you will run into a prob with the lower power scope because you will want to start shooting further than 600 yds. No body complains about having too much power in there scopes plus you can turn them down but its hard to turn them up past the max

Roy, isn't that the truth. I'm finishing up a degree in Welding and Metal Fab and then I am getting out of the big city.

The choices are both quality optics so the choice is tough. I was just curious if the few differences made that much of an issue with my selection.

Vortex is definitely a "cheaper" brand compared to Nightforce from my understanding. However, I figure with my budget range the quality differences are not as prominent as say the $2-3k range of glass.

I think the extra magnification and ffp are the selling points for me at this time. Who knows what will happen once I'm consistently ringing shots out farther and farther. This setup is my first LR rig.

Mtank, Vortex is FFP and NF is SFP. The price of the Vortex is $950 from most retailers and the cheapest I can find the SHV 5-20x56 is about $1300. That's a good bit of ammo I can use with a Vortex with similar specs. Not really interested in the Zeiss for the build I am putting together at this time.

The biggest debate left for me now is MIL or MOA.

Oh yes no doubt on the price. I'm considering the 5x20 shv instead of a leupold vx6 due to price difference. BTW the non illuminated 5x20 is $1171 on this site, still 200 higher but better than 1300. I have a Vortex viper hs 6x24x50 on a 22-250 & I love it. Its a lot cheaper scope than what your looking @ due to sfp but it tracks awesome. You'll be happy either way I believe.

Im looking at the same scopes you are for the same kind of shooting. I am leaning toward the more expensive NF SHV with the zero stop instead of the 4x14. The other scope I like more than the Vortex is the Burris XTR II. Same price point, but seems to be better than the Vortex. I think the NF will be the best overall quality but that Burris has everything I want in a scope. For me, its between the Burris and the NF. Just not sure how much the FFP will be better than the SFP for hunting. It seems the tactical crew all really love FFP and Mil. That the Burris. NF for me would likely be SFP and MOA. If I knew that Burris was as rock solid as the NF it would be Burris all the way but I dont think it is.

StrutNut, for a about $150 more would consider the leupold vx6 4x24x52. My set-up will be mainly hunting. Either order the Shv 5x20 or the vx6 4x24. For me personally I think of I go shv I'll get the ihr reticle.

Get the SHV. I have a 4-16 PST sfp and a 4-16 SHV. I like the SHV a lot more. Better glass for sure. Plus I like the MOAR reticle.

I have both of these scopes and personally dont think you can go wrong with either one. Glass quality is very close with the edge going to NF. But the Vortex has the ability to go up to 24x power. Dont really care for the illuminated reticle on the Vortex though. Not sure what the SHV costs now but I believe I paid around $975 for mine and just got the Vortex for $950. Anywho good luck in your search

I have both of these scopes and personally dont think you can go wrong with either one. Glass quality is very close with the edge going to NF. But the Vortex has the ability to go up to 24x power. Dont really care for the illuminated reticle on the Vortex though. Not sure what the SHV costs now but I believe I paid around $975 for mine and just got the Vortex for $950. Anywho good luck in your search

I seriously considered the two but went with SWFA SS 5-25x50 HD FFP instead and couldn't be any happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.