Vortex or sightron?

pyroducksx3

Looking into possibly upgrading my scope. I currently have a 6.5-20 vortex viper with bdc reticle. I'm having a semi-custom 7 rem mag built and was curious if I would benefit from upgrading the scope. the two scopes I'm considering are the vortex viper pst in 6-24 with MOA reticle the other option is the sightron big sky 3 SS 6-24 with MOA reticle. I'm not sure I would gain much going with the pst unless I went to ffp. I'm am wondering if the sightron is considered to be a better scope (glass, repeatability and so on). I haven't had any issues with the viper I have but then I haven't dailed much. Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks

pst can be ffp. simple zero stop but it works.

sightron better glass, very compareable to my NF

both should track just fine.

Well I was hoping to get a little more feed back on this. I like my vortex viper and so far the vortex company but if I went to the pst I would want the ffp and that puts the scope close 1000$ where as I'm hoping to get a SIII for around 700$ and even this is breaking the budget. The other thing I like about the vortex is they have a ballistic program on their website that tells me what the different hashed are at the different mag levels (which wouldn't really matter with ffp anyway). My smith has no experience with sightron so I was hoping to hear more about this. I'm looking for at a sightron with lrmoa reticle

I have two SIII's and love 'em. I have also owned a couple of NightForce's. Don't get me wrong, I love the NF's but I sold my last NF to get the SIII LRMOA, as I felt I was giving nothing up in the switch.......

I have NOT owned a PST but have held them and looked through them several times.

If you don't absolutely have to own an FFP scope, get the SIII LRMOA and don't look back :cool:

I have sold many of the new Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA scopes to guys on here and everybody loves them. I own a PST also and I would take the Sightron every time. Higher quality all around. I have heard more than one guy say that he sold a Nightforce so he could buy 2 Sightron SIII's.

You can check out what I have here > Sightron SIII LRMOA

Sightron 111 no zero stop. Good glass but i do not like to have to take the caps off to use. I all ready had to order a cap lost one. Love my Vortex PST NO CAPS AND IT HAS A ZERO STOP. If sightron would come out with a zero stop then i would get more. Outher wise no way.

Sightron has capless tactical models available, and although zero stop is nice to have. I've never missed it since I sold my PST FFP. IMHO the trade-off for better glass, turret construction, and a full 100 MOA of elevation adjustment outweighed the Vortex zero stop. I also thought the FFP would be nice to have, but I ended up not liking it as much as I thought I would.

The Vortex has great features and I think the PST is a high quality optic, I just think that for me the Sightron LRMOA is a better value.

Sightron 111 no zero stop. Good glass but i do not like to have to take the caps off to use. I all ready had to order a cap lost one. Love my Vortex PST NO CAPS AND IT HAS A ZERO STOP. If sightron would come out with a zero stop then i would get more. Outher wise no way.

The new turrets are very tactical and sweet!!!!!

As for zero stop......I really like the feature, but once a person gets used to looking at his revolution lines, it soon becomes a non factor. That being said, I still would love Sightron to add the feature :D

Well I was hoping to get a little more feed back on this. I like my vortex viper and so far the vortex company but if I went to the pst I would want the ffp and that puts the scope close 1000$ where as I'm hoping to get a SIII for around 700$ and even this is breaking the budget. The other thing I like about the vortex is they have a ballistic program on their website that tells me what the different hashed are at the different mag levels (which wouldn't really matter with ffp anyway). My smith has no experience with sightron so I was hoping to hear more about this. I'm looking for at a sightron with lrmoa reticle

This thread had to show up now. I was deciding between the two and went with the Vortex. I have not recieved it yet so I can not give my opinion. Am I correct that Sightron does not have a FFP? Were have you found the Sightron for $700?

This thread had to show up now. I was deciding between the two and went with the Vortex. I have not recieved it yet so I can not give my opinion. Am I correct that Sightron does not have a FFP? Were have you found the Sightron for $700?

I'm actually leaning heavily toward the sightron. I looked into the sightron II SS bigsky 6.5-20x50 LR MOA but I already have 30mm rings so by the time I got new rings the price would close to the same, plus the SII is on a 1" tube. The 700 was for a used one but the seller is being kinda flakey so I may just go new as it's only 100$ more. Looking forward to hearing about your opinion of the pst, if you would post your observation. The sightron does not have ffp available. And apparently sightron may be releasing a 3.5-17.5 in the summer but it will be a while longer for it in a MOA reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts